The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped a buddy install a short throw shifter this weekend on his '97 Altima. We are having a problem with it. It seems that you can push it down and it is hitting the exhaust. I guess the linkage or the bottom of the shifter where the bearings are is what is hitting. Is this normal, is there a fix? Thanks for your time and help.

·
788 Posts
It is NOT installed properly. Make sure you reattatched all of the brackets that go around the pivot ball. You should not be able to push it down. However, when you get a short shifter, the part BELOW the pivot ball extends further down, so the shifter has more leverage and the throws are shorter. I had to dent in my catalytic converter heat shield so it wouldn't scrape. But you should NOT be able to push down on it.

Out.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
i hope you didn't buy the universal nissan shifter. Supposedly it fits all Maximas, Altimas, 200sx, etc. It's not true. I got it and had the same problem you do. You should not be able to push and pull it at all. It should be tight. I hope you compared it to the stock one after you took it out.

Also, even if it is the right one, the heat shield for the WILL need to be bent a little so that the bottom end of the shifter doesn't hit it. Cause it will! Mine did, but not no mo. Just bang it with a hammer where it rubs. That's all i did.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cause?

What causes it to be able to move down? We didn't pull on it to see if if will move up. Is there a solution that will work to stop the movement? I know he won it on eBay and it was listed as an Altima Short Throw Shifter. No other models were mentioned in the description...

·
Registered
109 Posts
i got the same one took one look at the thing knew it wasnt the right one and filed a complaint on ebay, got my money back minus the 25 they wanted. If you want teh right one get the integra short throw it will fit the alty

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
altimasr16 said:
i got the same one took one look at the thing knew it wasnt the right one and filed a complaint on ebay, got my money back minus the 25 they wanted. If you want teh right one get the integra short throw it will fit the alty
yes it will, that's what i have now. $40 at Pep Boys

It moves up and down because the pivot ball is too small

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
www.courtesyparts.com has 2 or 3 short shifters for altimas. it's not on their website. call them.
Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts