The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
short throw installation help!

I bought a short throw shifter. I do all my own installation on everything. Ive just never installed a short throw. Any how too's anybody. 96 GXE.:confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered on e off of Ebay. Its made by topspeed. Massive moto sports screwed me on my blue OBX one. I was just tired of the 30ft long shifter!

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
Yeah, the stock shifter is way tall - which of course makes the throws way long. I felt like I was shifting a dump truck the first time I drove my Altima - but then I was coming from a Mustang Cobra with an aftermarket (very) short-throw shifter in it (Steeda Tri-Ax). I might consider putting a short throw shifter in the Altima, but the prices I've seen so far are STUPID. There's just not enough to that part to justify what they're charging for them. I only paid $140 for my Steeda Tri-Ax (group purchase) - and it was a work of art. Billet aluminum... positive stop bolts to prevent over-shifting and damaging the tranny shift forks, etc. Here it is:

Southwest wants $258.43 for this Stillen shifter for the Altima:

NO WAY!!! Somebody's getting rich. Does anyone have a line on a REASONABLY priced short shifter for a '99?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought mine on ebay for $45 on ebay. Best place to look if you arn't looking for a top of tha line!

·
Lite Brite Disposal Tech
1,724 Posts
Ptuning

Bought my B&M from these guys a month or so ago....great service. Anyway, I would'nt pay anyone to put on a shifter for you. Took me about 45 mins with a set of hand tools and a jack. After you romove the heatshield above the cat and pulled the exhaust hangers, you can just pull down on the whole exhaust assembly, then wedge a screwdriver or small board between the floorpan and the exhaust. The rest of the install is a cakewalk.

·
13,021 Posts
Poe99SE said:
Yeah, the stock shifter is way tall - which of course makes the throws way long. I felt like I was shifting a dump truck the first time I drove my Altima - but then I was coming from a Mustang Cobra with an aftermarket (very) short-throw shifter in it (Steeda Tri-Ax). I might consider putting a short throw shifter in the Altima, but the prices I've seen so far are STUPID. There's just not enough to that part to justify what they're charging for them. I only paid $140 for my Steeda Tri-Ax (group purchase) - and it was a work of art. Billet aluminum... positive stop bolts to prevent over-shifting and damaging the tranny shift forks, etc. Here it is:

Southwest wants $258.43 for this Stillen shifter for the Altima:

NO WAY!!! Somebody's getting rich. Does anyone have a line on a REASONABLY priced short shifter for a '99?
Making the shifter short would only give you less leverage to shift. The reason a short shifter makes your throws shorter is because the piece after the pivot point is lengthened.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I installed the B&M by myself. Only took about an hour. But is it okay to cut it down some?? Just still a little too tall

·
Music Selecta'
566 Posts
I ordered a short shifter off ebay, but the ball is to small for the stock collar, anybody know why I am having this problem??

·
Music Selecta'
566 Posts
^ I thought it was the wrong shifter but the dood I bought it from insists that I can get a collar and stuff from my "local autoparts store" even though it was supposed to come with one.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts