The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Auto Tech
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, i am broke as hell after buying these rims/tires, and they are gonna be here monday, and i am debating whether to put them on myself or not... can i just use the jack and put one wheel on at a time? is this safe? will they be on straight or is this a bad idea?

let me know, thanks guys

·
founding father
1,709 Posts
yeah you can put them on yourself w/o any problem. just make sure you tighten the lugs enough. but other than that its kinda hard to mess up putting on 4 wheels

·
U13 Drifter
548 Posts
what about getting them balanced though? maybe you can take them to an auto shop to have them do that with the weights for you after you get the wheels on the tires.

·
U13 Drifter
548 Posts
wait...i thought you meant putting the wheels ON the tires, if you change the tires that's too bad

·
Auto Tech
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the tires are already on the rims

i dont know much about this, but if i put them on, will they be centered or balanced right so that the car wont vibrate when i drive?

·
founding father
1,709 Posts
well if they are being delivered with the tires premounted on the wheel then you can assume that they have been properly mounted and balanced. but i would check with whomever you are buying them from

·
where is that cone from
38 Posts
putting tires on rims

I got a real back-yard way change tires but it only work on those pillow size side wall. first, off with the wheel, jack the car way up, place the wheel under the car so the tire just tuck under factory jack point but put a piece of 4 by2 between them, go got a long ply bar or screw dirver ready, release jack slowl as soon as the car starting to push down the tire, stand on the rims preventing it tipping over, got your friend use that ply bar to break the bead.

here comes the fun part, put 2 4 by4 UNDER THE RIM, do the same thing again, tire should be off. I did it to my old Buick with tires I stole in the back of Sears. If you are as creative and insanely cheap like me, you can do it too.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
ross said:
the tires are already on the rims

i dont know much about this, but if i put them on, will they be centered or balanced right so that the car wont vibrate when i drive?

it sounds like you dont know how to change a tire. and that means your a noob! but thats ok, we all have to start somewhere. well, since your putting new wheels with new tires on. make sure they are Balanced. if not, you have to take them somewhere. If you have high performace tires, they could have a directional tred so put them on the right way. they will have an arrow on the side wall if they are directional. you have to torque the lugnuts to a certain pattern. you never go in a clockwise/ counter-clockwise pattern. what you do is tighten the one accross from the first one you have tightened. its always good to use a torque wrench and tightin it down to the specifications because that can prevent rotor warp. but standing on the end of a tire iron works too :)
here the order to torque

the numbes are your lug nuts. torque in the order i have shown.

after about a good week or so of driving, its good to go and retighten. you know you did something wrong if in a few weeks, your car starts vibrating. if that happens, just tightin again and check if they where loose.

BTW, one side of the lugnuts is tapered. the tapered side always goes in twords the wheel. this helps center the wheel. dont get them backwords.

maybe one day, you will be able to change your oil!
if you did that, your oil change would only cost you around $7

·
www.carzonemotorsport.com
103 Posts
Thats were your wrong Peterson, what you should do is keep driving on it until the rubber tears up and your riding on rims. Once your at that point then you can really enjoy what you paid for those rims. :D

Seriously now though you can mount your own rims and see how it drives it if does feel kinda crappy go to a tire shop and get the car aligned and all that, it'll just run like $30

1 - 14 of 14 Posts