The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2000 GXE, 150k miles
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My manifold has cracked and needs to be replaced. The egr tube is NOT coming off that manifold. Nissan no longer sells it nor can it be found elsewhere so my only option is to cut it and block off the egr at least until I come across another tube. And I know blocking off the egr is going to cause the combustion temps in the engine to be higher, but I don't know how much higher. It can also cause knocking. One person mentioned the higher temps can even cause the intake to warp too? I don't really like this idea so to compensate I'm thinking of using slightly colder spark plugs. What do you guys think?

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you going to replace the manifold -- that is not clear here?

·
2000 GXE, 150k miles
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's what I'm trying to decide. If I do, I would have to cap off the egr port on the manifold and on the intake. I'm just not completely sure what problems doing that may cause.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
No need to change plugs. The only thing that can happen is pinging which if the engine has a knock sensor will tune out instantly. May not ping anyway as most pinging occurred on older school type engines with very lean fuel settings not computer set, now you have an ECM that sets fuel at exactly what is needed to burn correctly and richer than those old school ones were.

The temp of the burn does go up slightly but not enough to hurt other than in the possible ignition timing value and the ECM should compensate for that.

You likely WILL fail any tailpipe testing done for inspection though, the NOx emissions will spike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In your situation, I don't see why the intake would warp?

The egr's function is to induce inert gas (oxygen-free, or non-flammable) into the combustion chamber. By inducing this inert gas, the computer can inject less fuel under light engine loads. This results in better fuel economy.

Colder plugs can help to keep chamber temps down, but you shouldn't have to worry about that by blocking the egr valve. Think of it this way, the egr only opens at light engine loads. At higher engine load (1/2 throttle or more) the egr valve closes so the engine is only breathing in fresh, oxygen-rich, flame-instigating air. This is when chamber temps are gonna be the hottest, and this is also when the egr is closed by design.

·
2000 GXE, 150k miles
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

In your situation, I don't see why the intake would warp?
I saw it commented a couple of times by people after watching an egr delete video that gave me this idea. Their reasoning was the higher combustion chamber temps would heat up the intake, eventually warping it and damaging the gasket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts