Nissan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving down a narrow street and suddenly a passenger in an SUV swings open the door just as I was passing by. Of course, my mirror flew of the car.

My problem however, is that the mirror itself came of in one peice. The door hit it with so much force that rather than the actual mirror breaking, the plastic screw threads that hold it on to the screws attaching it to the door were stripped away, and the actual frame were the screws screw in is now totally bent. Now, I cant even roll my window all the way up because that little triangular section that the mirror is mounted on to is bent. THe screws to the mirror are still in the door, but will no longer fit into the mirror because they are pointed in awkward directions (because of the bent triangular peice).

Is that little triangular section where the mirror mounts on to seperate from the door frame, or is it all one big peice? I have searched for hours but couldn't find any sites that have just that peice of the door frame for sell. Maybe a body shop will have to bend it back in place...

I know alot of you guys just had the mirror crack or break apart but no bent frames or anything, but has this ever happened to anyone? Any suggestions???

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Sounds repairable. Remove the studs, epoxy them back in the mirror, hammer the door straight, and reinstall the mirror.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
sorry to hear that, my OLD maxima from back in 95 had folding mirrors(both ways too), DOH!

·
Registered
7 Posts
did you ever find an answer to your question... because im DEF in the same situation right now "/ should i get to #HammerTime ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may need to get a are replacement part from a JY.

Below is a video of an '02 Altima with the window sheared off in a similar way to the original poster.

Hope this helps with the repair.

Side Mirror Replacement - YouTube
Yeaaaaaaa....... that didnt help much lol :sad: but its ok...i pretty much followed what everyone was saying & just hammered the frame down as flat as possible and its sitting a lot better than before.... :woot: i guess ill just TAP away at the frame ever so often until its completely STRAIGHT! lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the portion of the door frame that holds the three 10mm bolts (+ electrical connector) is bent; then your options are limited. There's no removing that piece as it is basically a part of the entire metal door frame.

Depending on the level of damage.. use a hammer to smooth it out as best you can. Sounds like you've made some headway with this approach already.

If you're not satisfied with the outcome...or if it's completely messed, you can go to a JY and buy a replacement door (without any window, trim panels, mirror, accessories etc.. ) for fairly cheap. JY's around here quote around $90 on their web sites. With cash in hand you may be able to get a much better price at a yard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the portion of the door frame that holds the three 10mm bolts (+ electrical connector) is bent; then your options are limited. There's no removing that piece as it is basically a part of the entire metal door frame.

Depending on the level of damage.. use a hammer to smooth it out as best you can. Sounds like you've made some headway with this approach already.

If you're not satisfied with the outcome...or if it's completely messed, you can go to a JY and buy a replacement door (without any window, trim panels, mirror, accessories etc.. ) for fairly cheap. JY's around here quote around $90 on their web sites. With cash in hand you may be able to get a much better price at a yard.
thanksssssss so much... and yea..it took some time and patience to even remotely move the metal but it def went down... an entirely different car door "/

screw it..lol.. everything is in tact and looks fine so im good to go

OHHHH but quick question... for some reason my window wont automatically go up on that window anymore.. im thinking it was bc glass was in there at one point . but it goes down fine automatically o_O i think i read somewhere that u have to reset it or something?!?

thanks again though for the help

·
Registered
217 Posts
OHHHH but quick question... for some reason my window wont automatically go up on that window anymore.. im thinking it was bc glass was in there at one point . but it goes down fine automatically o_O i think i read somewhere that u have to reset it or something?!?

thanks again though for the help
Yeah there's a reset button that you have to hold, and you have to have the door panel off to reset it. it's in the fsm, but here's the steps.

1. Raise the glass to the top dead center position.
2. While pressing and holding the reset switch, lower the glass to the bottom dead center position.
3. Release the reset switch. Verify that the reset switch returns to the original position, and then raises the glass to the top dead center position.
CAUTION:
Do not operate the glass automatically to raise the glass to the top dead center position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah there's a reset button that you have to hold, and you have to have the door panel off to reset it. it's in the fsm, but here's the steps.

1. Raise the glass to the top dead center position.
2. While pressing and holding the reset switch, lower the glass to the bottom dead center position.
3. Release the reset switch. Verify that the reset switch returns to the original position, and then raises the glass to the top dead center position.
CAUTION:
Do not operate the glass automatically to raise the glass to the top dead center position.
IT WORKED!! even tho at one point my window stopped working completely....but its fine now!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today I was driving down a narrow street and suddenly a passenger in an SUV swings open the door just as I was passing by. Of course, my mirror flew of the car.

My problem however, is that the mirror itself came of in one peice. The door hit it with so much force that rather than the actual mirror breaking, the plastic screw threads that hold it on to the screws attaching it to the door were stripped away, and the actual frame were the screws screw in is now totally bent. Now, I cant even roll my window all the way up because that little triangular section that the mirror is mounted on to is bent. THe screws to the mirror are still in the door, but will no longer fit into the mirror because they are pointed in awkward directions (because of the bent triangular peice).

Is that little triangular section where the mirror mounts on to seperate from the door frame, or is it all one big peice? I have searched for hours but couldn't find any sites that have just that peice of the door frame for sell. Maybe a body shop will have to bend it back in place...

I know alot of you guys just had the mirror crack or break apart but no bent frames or anything, but has this ever happened to anyone? Any suggestions???

Mines too i bought a used side rearview mirrow but when i finished replacing it the mounting triangular section that the mirror is mounted on to is bent the top and bottom. Well hitting it with a hammer really work🤔. I don't won't to break it😫😭😭😭😭😭😒. I guess that what u get for buying it at a junk yard😤. But 150 for a side rearview is ridiculous not including the labor😡😠🤬😤. PUS TO NEED TO BE PAINTED😔😖😞😫😫😫😫😫😫☹😤😭😭😡😠😠😠😡😠🤫🤧🤬. Exactly couldn't find it in silver they only had it in black. I'm thinking about painting it myself but i really don't know what to buy😫😫😒😭. You need spary a clear coat something else sand paper i think idk😫😭😭😭☹😢. Any advice is greatly appreciated😫😒☹🙌🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

Attachments

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,459 Posts
Went through the same thing fifteen years ago...that triangle plate for the mirror mount is super thin metal. I just got some spare bolts, some nuts and washers and tightened them up through the mounting holes and then whacked away at the bolts with the hammer until it was reasonably true again, test fit the mirror and adjust as needed. Never had an issue with the replacement mirror.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
d0ugmac1
Nissan Forums
Welcome to Nissan Club, one of the largest Nissan forum communities. Discussion, reviews, maintenance and more.
Full Forum Listing