The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, im not gonna say my car has over 233,000 miles on it, im not gonna say that i should just probly go ahead and buy a new engine or look into an sr20det, im not gonna say all that

at idle my car misses slightly, i pulled out the plugs and checked the condition and gap and everything looks good, i fill up w/ 93 octane exxon gas, and i know this can probly be a million things, so if someone will, help me out, by listin a few of them, thanks

·
I am the universe.
1,520 Posts
check the following:

1) 02 sensor 30-60 bux to replace yourself.
2) distributor/rotor another 30-40 dollar fix yourself
3) maf mass air sensor may need to be changed (not sure how much..(

4) make sure your fuel lines are clean
5) use good oil
6) a general tune up can't hurt...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
does your idle miss as soon as you turn over the engine cold? if so, I doubt it's the oxygen sensor. OS's only start doing there job when the engine has warmed up, then they put the system into a closed loop. injectors may be dirty or some of the suggestions others mentioned are also worth looking at.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
233kaltima said:
yeah, it only does it whenever it has warmed up

im gonna go buy a new one and replace the thing tomorrow, ill let ya know, any specific brand i should or shouldnt buy?
sounds like you have a defective or lazy OS. Bosch are OEM for our cars, I think.

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i got the sensor, $40 from autozone, but i ran into a problem, i cant reach the damn thing.

john haynes says that i should use a special slotted socket that a wire will fit through, (HAYNES manual, chapter 6, page 7, picture 4.19), i asked my dad and step-dad about it and they had no clue or had never heard of such a thing

how do you get to those damn oxygen sensors?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday on my 93 Altima.

Any auto part store sells a special slotted socket that u can use to take the 02 sensor out.

Mine cost 10 bucks at carquest and took me 15 minutes to take out the old and put in the new.

Purchased the new sensor from napa for 49.00

My idle problem went away.

I did not have the engine light on so I guess it was just a lazy 02 sensor.

ank

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
jesus H....you guys have expensive shit out there on the west coast. I just bought an O2 sensor to act as a temporary plug for my header until I get the right one from stillen. It was the Bosch one and only $25. sheesh.

As far as that socket goes, the only place I could find around here that was A) slotted and B) big enough was on the snap on truck. I returned it to him the next week (after using it) saying I didnt need it. They wanted $30 just for the socket!

·
Banned
21,813 Posts
If it is missing....

try
A. new plugs, even if yours are fairly new
B. cap/rotor, make sure it is OEM (this fixed mine) $30
C. plug wires
D. O2 sensor...some parts place will loan you the tool to use to switch out sensors
E. switch gas brands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might want to retrieve the error code from
the ECM and determine which cylinder is missing.
Once you know that you can check the plug and
plug wire for that cylinder.

Next I would pull the fuel injector. The bottom O
Ring may be blown causing the injector to leak
fuel into the cylinder at idle and a misfire.

Good luck.

·
Registered
803 Posts
if u have stock plug wires, the spark may leave the wire and go to the head occassionally. take the wires out and clean them and also clean the spark plug cylinders. on altimas, they tend to rust cuz condensation gets down in them and rust is very conductive to electricity. i cleaned mine at least once a month when i had stock plug wires cuz my rpms used to fluctuate when idling.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
jr93alty said:
if u have stock plug wires, the spark may leave the wire and go to the head occassionally. take the wires out and clean them and also clean the spark plug cylinders. on altimas, they tend to rust cuz condensation gets down in them and rust is very conductive to electricity. i cleaned mine at least once a month when i had stock plug wires cuz my rpms used to fluctuate when idling.
compressed air is a good way to clean them. just blow all the dust and dirt out.

EDIT: i mean from a compressor, not those cans w/chemicals in them.

·
434 Posts
Alright, somebody tried to rape me today, NAPA tried selling me an O2 sensor for $82(just the front, they charge $75 for the rear).
I have a 1997 Altima, with the heated O2 sensor, are these suppsed to be this price?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
atakm said:
Alright, somebody tried to rape me today, NAPA tried selling me an O2 sensor for $82(just the front, they charge $75 for the rear).
I have a 1997 Altima, with the heated O2 sensor, are these suppsed to be this price?
I think they're cheaper than that from my local dealer, lol. NAPA is expensive. Try another autoparts store like autozone or pepboys. OR, contact shri222 and he can get you an OEM one for like $45 or $50 shipped.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I just bought the Bosch universal (which works fine for our cars)

part number: 11027 I think thats the NAPA number...

I paid $24.99

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, i got the "expensive, only use for one thing" socket from autozone today for $13, i pulled out the old one and it looked like shit, and then i put the new one in and it didnt seem to do any good, the car still kinda misses

i was thinkin it might just need some time, cuz i only drove it for like 5 minutes after i put it in and i was gonna give it another day or so before i started worrying about it, i thought it might just need to "break in" before it kicked in and started workin, am i right?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.