The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was wondering do any of you all have been experiencing jumpy rpm's while holding a steady highway speed like say anywhere between 60 to 80 mph. I have a 2015 2.5 SV model and it is very annoying cause I never owned a vehicle that would do that especially while holding a steady speed and also on cruise control on flat roads

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mine stays very steady around 1800 @70mph (cruise control) on flat land 60-80°F air outside and not windy. It raises to 3000 or so if I let cruise climb a steep hill.

Are there any conditions that make this happen? Has it been steady until recently? How long has this been going on (like only on this tank of gas, or since someone last changed the air cleaner....)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It used to stay steady but as it aged and mileage increases it just became progressively worst and the dealership never finds anything considers it normal. Sometimes even my speedometer does that as well...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't know how handy you are but the first thing I would do is open up and look at the air filter and the piping behind the air filter and make sure there's no cracks in it letting in extra air. Then in the next tank of gas run a good fuel injector cleaner cleaner. And past that I would just let it go because until it becomes consistent you're not really hurting anything unless you're about to be out of warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try those but my car is not having any surging or any driveability issues. It sounds normal no unusual noises just the weirdness of the tach being slightly jumpy and even sometimes speedometer does the same.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I will try those but my car is not having any surging or any driveability issues. It sounds normal no unusual noises just the weirdness of the tach being slightly jumpy and even sometimes speedometer does the same.
Oh you think it's a false reading? like the RPMs are actually changing just the reading of the RPMs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is correct no changes in the engine sound or anything just a slightly jumpy rpm. For example if you are driving 70 and the rpm is hovering around 1800 it jumps up and down from 1750 to 1800 and 1850 consistently

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well this is newer than anything I've messed with but you could rent an obdII reader from Autozone/O'Reilly Auto and see if that reads the RPM/Speedometer bounce too. If yes then you might eventually need a Vehicle Speed Sensor, and if not you might have a bad board on your gauges. I only know this from listening to every episode of Car Talk for the last 10 years, but you can run that info past a mechanic and see what they think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds great jeffh, I will have to look into it. Most likely I will have to have the mechanic ride with me and do a video as well on this matter so they know what I am talking about.
I did mentioned this to them and of course they rode it off as no problems to be found

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm having that issue as well. I haven't taken it to a dealership as it will be a waste of time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I was wondering do any of you all have been experiencing jumpy rpm's while holding a steady highway speed like say anywhere between 60 to 80 mph. I have a 2015 2.5 SV model and it is very annoying cause I never owned a vehicle that would do that especially while holding a steady speed and also on cruise control on flat roads
Did you ever find out what was wrong, my 2015 Altima is doing the same thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts