The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably already been asked, but is there a good reason that Nissan smashed the stock exhaust pipe on 3.5 Altimas? Was this for clearance issues, or some kind of weird flow design? I wouldn't think it's for clearance issues because Mossy already makes a non-smashed cat back system.

Also, are there any other cat back systems besides the Mossy one out yet? What other companies are working on coming out with cat backs for the 3.5?

Thanks!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Clearance. But I've read a few posts that said the crushed pipe did not restrict flow much at all. I think the exhaust bottlenecks are upstream with the cats, the u-turns, etc.

·
BOSRI NAH CHOD!
641 Posts
do ur own custom cat back..

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
i recommend buying some mufflers you like, then go to a muffler shop and have them install mandrel bent piping for you from the cat, back. You might want to add a performance resonator so that it doesn't sound all ricey.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think that the 2.5ers might need a performance resonator because it might sound ricey. But with the 3.5 is deep and nice sound.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, so why would you just buy mufflers and have a shop make the tubing bends from the cat and not just get something like the Mossy cat back? Is it price or is there some other issue with the cat backs we see for Altima's on this forum?

·
1,873 Posts
tomsti said:
Hi, so why would you just buy mufflers and have a shop make the tubing bends from the cat and not just get something like the Mossy cat back? Is it price or is there some other issue with the cat backs we see for Altima's on this forum?
Probably price.

But from what I have read here, there are a couple of nice cat-backs offered the 3.5.

·
Registered
899 Posts
CGann, backpressure was important to the older style engines. These days, it's pretty much go as free flowing as you can. We've debated this topic to no end on the LS1 sites, and most tests have proven that the less backpressure the better.

I think they crushed that pipe for clearance purposes. I'll also say that crushing that pipe probably doesn't hurt performance much, if at all. Cause there are some BIG bottle necks in the Alti exhaust, like crimped section before cat, precats, and u-turns in the piping. I'm not sure, because I haven't tested it, but I'd guess that a racepipe would gain more hp than any catback, including Mossy. Freeing up from the cat back can't hurt. But I think it's more important to address the restrictions upstream first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts