The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no snow yet in my part of Kansas, but I do expect to encounter some before I trade in my 2002 Alti.

So I'm curious... Those of you who've driven in snow and on ICY roads... How did your Altimas perform? My 2.5S automatic has the stock Continental All-Seasons, if that matters.

Thanks.

OpalBlue

·
Registered
79 Posts
We got some snow here today. even though I had just washed my Alty yesterday, temptation got a hold of me, and I went out to see how it does.

I had no significant problems after getting a feel for it ...

ABS performed flawlessly

can start out in second for most starts, but for uphill or really slick stuff I found that I can even start out in third (really cuts down on the torque).

Of course, I don't have the auto, and I have the 3.5 SE, so your results will be different.

My recommendation is to do like I do whenever I get a new car...
Take it out on a desserted road and experiment a bit....

·
Frozen Member
411 Posts
Takes some getting used to - not one of the better cars on ice due to its size. I can zip around much quicker in my Civic, but it's lighter and a 5 speed. ABS does work pretty well - not as cheap feeling as a GM product.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
Leaving in 1 hour

1st big snow, will let you know. Just about all of the schools are delayed or closed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drives Fine

I didn't think I'd get to test out my snow driving so soon, but with an early snowfall (up to 15 inches), I got my car out on the road before roads were plowed and it wasn't bad at all.

I have a 3.5SE with auto and I didn't have to do anything more than put it into drive and ease on the pedal. No ABS, so it's back to the old foot pumping, but I didn't need to do that at all.

I had to drive on a steep (35 degrees or so) hill and while rwd cars got stuck, I was able to make it up with no problems.

There was a stretch of highway where cars littered the shoulders and ditches (probably a combination of unsafe conditions and speeding) and a Ford Explorer slipped in front of me, but my car stayed steady and straight.

Overall, no problems to report (thankfully).

G

·
We had a thin cover of snow on ice this morning and I didn't have any problems. I took off the Bridgstones that came with it and put on artic alpine 215-60-17's and I only got a little slip when I was on the crosswalk crossing stripes and nothing works good on those.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We got 5 inches last nite, and I took the my altima (2.5s Auto) out on some bad roads and hills, and I thought it did pretty good. I did not get stuck anywhere and got up every hill I had to.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
5INCHES AND A 3.5 AUTO

BRAKES WERE GREAT! TCS WONDERFUL. VERY STABLE, JOY TO DRIVE IN BAD WEATHER, I JUST DID NOT WANT TO LOOK AT IT WHEN I GOT OUT. MY BUDDY HAS A TLS, SAID IT SUCKS AND HE ASSUMED MY CAR WOULD BE THE SAME.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Drives Fine

bbk3e said:
I had to drive on a steep (35 degrees or so) hill and while rwd cars got stuck, I was able to make it up with no problems.
Uhhh, I doubt that it was 35 degrees. I doubt a Hummer could make it up a 35 degree, snow-covered slope.

I live off a fairly steep hill. I measured it as 15%, or 8.6 degrees. The hill next to where I live steepens just before the top to 20%, or 11.5 degrees. It's steep enough that most trucks, and even school buses must climb it in 1st gear.

According to Guiness, the steepest street in the world (in San Francisco) is 31.5%, or 18.36 degrees. The sidewalks are stairways, although most stairways are steeper than that.

For reference, few roller coaster climbing hills are more than 15 degrees.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We just got a thin coating here in Jersey. I wish I'd gotten the optional T/C. The car is all over the road. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd spin unless you have the gentlest fairy foot. Any juice and they're spinning.

I jammed in the brakes just to test. Anti-locks would've been nice. I guess I should've shelled out the x-tra bucks. My old GM handled alot better (93 Grand Am GT) But I don't miss it. I'm just looking forward to those dry days!

G

·
I am a ski instructor and I tell people when they look how steep a hill is there is a tendency to make it steeper then it really is. A 35deg hill is very steep and most Expert trails don't even have that degree of steepness for their length. It is like trying to judge distance across the water, Everything looks so close. What I tell people, if they think it is 45deg, it is most likely half that. Chalk it up to the brain getting fooled by the eyes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Haven't tested mine in true snow yet but it was a rain snow mix yesterday and my 3.5 with ABS and T/C drove like it was dry out. Didn't notice any slipping. It was great.

·
Frozen Member
411 Posts
oh i forgot to mention - the exhaust pipe on the 2.5 is pretty low, so expect it to drag in a few inches of snow. even my civic is higher.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts