The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
i run blogs.
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a Female cousin, on a drug charge. This is the 2nd time she'll be going to prison. First time was for 1yr. They gave her 7year probation. She's been out for a year. got arrested about a month ago, the cops found meth, pills, coke, pipes and weed on her.

Her attorney said they would most likely give her 5-10 years.

What are the chances of her getting into a rehab center in lieu of prison?

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
2nd offense... drug related... rehab - not going to happen. thats usually the way it works.
had it been NON violent NON drug related, shed have a chance. just added "violent" cuz thats one of the things that they look at. they also look at the time span between offenses. my brother got 7 years for non drug, non violence related theft and burglary. it was his second time in jail within a year. that means a helluva lot come sentence time. it also matters if her crime was repetitive. it has to have the same wording as the first time or its not completely repetitive.
sorry to hear about your cuz, but like my brother, they sometimes need this to learn their lesson.

·
i run blogs.
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, tell me about it.

I pretty much grew up with this girl. All of my cousins on this side of the fam are extremely close. Me and her are like brother and sister.

I just found out about this like 2 hours ago(long story) so im kind of freaking out here. She's been in the local jail for a month now.

Since her attorney is saying 5-10, im expecting a sentence around 7 years.

I don't think is the best thing for her. I'd rather see her in a rehab center.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If she had a good lawyer she'd already be in rehab. If they waited until later the judge probably won't be sympathetic and just put her in jail.

I doubt she'd get 5 years for possession. Unless it was enough to fall into dealing.

·
OG
4,071 Posts
theres a pretty big nationwide crack-down on drugs and the chances of rehab instead of time are looking worse by the day (i work for a lawyer)

·
i run blogs.
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
greensoup2 said:
If she had a good lawyer she'd already be in rehab. If they waited until later the judge probably won't be sympathetic and just put her in jail.

I doubt she'd get 5 years for possession. Unless it was enough to fall into dealing.
She has no money and comes from no money so she can't afford anyone decent.

The first time she got caught she had a bunch of coke and like $10k in cash on her and she was charged with intent to sell.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
greensoup2 said:

this depends on the time frame. my brother was given probation first and during that year of probation, he did almost the same thing again. the court looks at that as if youre a non-learning-your-lesson moron. and they tell you so.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
what YOU can do her system is what i should have done. go attorney searching for a relatively new lawyer. or one thats vying for a higher position. theyre more prone to take a case pro buono - or free. THAT would be a huge help for her and might even get her some semi-decent counsel.

·
i run blogs.
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
asleepaltima said:
what YOU can do her system is what i should have done. go attorney searching for a relatively new lawyer. or one thats vying for a higher position. theyre more prone to take a case pro buono - or free. THAT would be a huge help for her and might even get her some semi-decent counsel.
I appreciate the advice, but I doubt I can do anything. I can suggest that to her brother, though.

this is a really ****ed up situation, i dont know why im talking about this on the internet :embarasse :(

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
because even though you "KNOW" a lot of us - it feels better to talk to strangers about your problems. wierd but true.

1,407 Posts
If she was in Ca then yes she could get rehab.

·
Registered
692 Posts
why the hell didnt they put her in rehab first time around?

maybe could appeal for reduced sentance plus rehab?

i dont know shit about law. can she even do an appeal?

·
i run blogs.
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
phinger23 said:
FL...is...retarded
It's not Florida, it's Georgia.

Alt01iro said:
tough shit, she gets what she deserves!
How does throwing someone into prison, which is filled with drugs, help someone that is addicted? The only thing I see that will happen is an elevated drug addiction and/or Murder/overdose/suicide.

I agree that she should be punished, but she didn't kill anyone or harm anyone. She didn't extort money, steal, or anything of that nature. She got hooked on drugs and hung out with the wrong crowd(which is a bad cliche).

If I could, I would sentence her to rehab, community service & house arrest.

MrJiggyFly said:
to be honest, i have no clue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
MrJiggyFly said:
Because of the nature of the charge the first time around. Had she gotten charged simply with possession, she might have gone into rehab. However, being charged with intent to sell implies you are not taking the drugs yourself, but rather making money by selling them. There are many sellers that have never touched the stuff; they just make money by selling it.

Rehab does not help anyone selling the stuff for a few bucks. Rehab is supposed to help people actually taking the stuff (i.e. people charged with possession). In this case, your sister got an extremely bad lawyer. Any decent lawyer could have reduced the charge from intent to sell to a simple possession.

If she just gets charged with possession this time around, she might have a teeny weeny chance of rehab. If she gets the short end of the stick again and gets intent to sell, she's going to be locked up for a long, long time.

You could always try prayer, if you care for her that much. What have you got to lose? Two whole minutes? :dunno:

·
i run blogs.
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rEvVoMaNiAc said:
You could always try prayer, if you care for her that much. What have you got to lose? Two whole minutes? :dunno:
My self-dignity.

btw, she only sold to make money for more drugs she could take.

i always knew she would **** up royally, but i never thought it would happen like this. 10 years in jail can really change someone.

only way i can see her getting a reduced sentence is to rat on people, but she knows not to do that.

what's so ironic and sad is that she was very smart, got a full ride scholarship to college, had a decent job and always paid for everything her self, had an excellent work ethic. it's all gone now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts