The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving on my way to take wife to school and my CEL comes on. I've noticed that my car has been running like crap lately, and this confirmed for me that something is indeed wrong. So, when I go to check the ECM for the code.......there's no friggin screw to turn. I thought I was nuts and that the screw I used was to big and not reaching, so I used a smaller one and still, could'nt see anything. I ended up pulling the whole thing out to look for a screw and couldn't find it. The hole is there, but there's no screw to turn......any ideas? Thanks! :)

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
Got to your local autozone,they will pull the code for free.:D
Probably just an 02 sensor,how many miles on the car?

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
^02 sensors are wear and tear item.Not covered.And judging by your mileage its not gonna be an 02 sensor.

lil_z_33 said:
yeah...got to autozone...dealer is gonna charge you an hour of labour on 30 seconds of work...
Woooord.:)

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
^Its the famous 3 Way Catalyst code.

Yes,you need to replace your 02 sensor.Before I got my header I used to get the code everytime it rained hard while driving.I still havent replaced it.I now have that second 02 dummied out with a resistor via the FAQ by Danny7633.

.It SHOULD not cause you car to run funny though,granted it is the second sensor.The guy who pulled the code should have told you which "bank" the scanner says went bad(i.e. sensor 1 or 2).

FYI - Mine used to stay on for a few days then go out.When I got my header,I found my exhaust mani was cracked in two places,I beleive thats why I used to get the code when it rained.

Nothing to be alarmed about really,you can wait a few days and it might go out on its own.Mine used to take about 5-6 days to go out.Also you MIGHT want to remove the heatsheild and check the exhaust manifold for a crack.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm a 1st gen but I drove with a bad o2 sensor for 2 yrs before I got mine replaced.

·
Banned
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks.....here's what the readout says:

The PCM has determined that the catalyst system efficiency for bank 1 is below threshold for the current engine operating conditions. (Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder # 1, while bank # 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank)

This shit make any sense to you? Cuz it don't to me! :(

Also, my car's bone stock! No aftermarket parts whatsoever, minus K&N flat filter and NGK wires/plugs, which I've had on for a few thousand miles.

Thanks for all the help!

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
Shouldnt go bad though with only 28K on the car.
I would say give it a few days,see if it clears on its own.
02 sensors can be finicky bastards.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The three way catylist code means the rear O2 sensor is causing grief or the cats are bad and need replaced. If your 2001 car has only 28K, read the owners book before calling these components a wear item. You still may be under the EPA mandated emissions warranty

1 - 20 of 34 Posts