The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Few days ago, I was driving my 2000 Nissan Altime, GLE on the cruise while all of the sudden the cluster died on me with the exception of the fuel guage. After few minutes, the speedometer, odometer, RPM, and temperature gauge came back. My Odometer came back on with the correct mileage as well.
Since then, it comes and goes as it pleases.

At looked at your forum where I found that it's such a common problem with the 2000 Altima. I've seen a lot of members in the forum experianced the same problem. Yet, I did not find out the solution. Some of you said it's a loose coniction or a lack of grouding. I don't believe this is the case since this problem is very common in the Nissan Altima. My mechanic wanted to replace the cluster with a used one. The total cost is about $300.

My question, do you think if a I changed the cluster, I'll not face the problem any more? Is this something I can do myself? Have any one tried to remove the instrument panel? How? What do you think?

Thanks,
:confused:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'd bet it's a loose connection. I know you don't think it is, but it seems the most likely cause.

It's not too terribly hard to remove the gauge cluster and check all the connections. If you know how to solder, you might as well tighten up the connections while you're back there.

I really don't see what else could cause it to go off and come back like that.

Think of it as a loose speaker wire. Sometimes it'll be working fine, other times it'll stop working.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
I bet it is the main circuit board inside the cluster called the Unified Meter Control Unit (UMCU). It is likely a electrical intermittent solder or capacitor and will require electronic repair. The best option is to just replace the entire cluster with a known good one. Check eBay Motors since you'll likely find a good replacement over there.

Sidenote: If anyone cares to send me their bad one instead of putting in the trash then let me know. I'll be willing to try and locate what is the actual part that goes bad on these UMCU. I would then post it up on these boards for everyone's benefit. Then you could just possibly have the part replaced in a local TV shop for much cheaper then buying another cluster.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Gotta love js. Every time you think you know what's going on, he comes in and completely confuses everyone yet seems to completely simply the issue. Js is kind of like Kafka. You have no idea what he's saying, but you KNOW he's profound.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Gotta love js. Every time you think you know what's going on, he comes in and completely confuses everyone yet seems to completely simply the issue. Js is kind of like Kafka. You have no idea what he's saying, but you KNOW he's profound.
:D .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts