The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, it's been a very long while since I posted on this forum (for many reasons, but mainly because I tired of all the hassles a regular poster like me would get from the more "troll-like" posters here).

Nevertheless, I decided to post this "last" thread to say that we've traded our 2013 SL 3.5 Altima (Cayenne Red/Beige) for a 2016 Platinum Maxima (Deep Blue Pearl/Cashmere). The Altima was a very good car (only 30500 miles in 3 1/2 years), but because its original tires had finally worn out, we decided to trade it. Seriously, we decided to get the Maxima both because it's "way more car" than the 3.5 Altima and its has lots more technology and luxury features. This time around, the Maxima does not compete with the Altima. They have the same "bones" (basic platform), but Nissan's really gone all out to make the Maxima its flagship once again. Because we've owned two Maximas in years past (an '86 and a '91), I've always had a soft spot for the marque. I still remember how in '95 I was so heartbroken when the '95 Maxima appeared....because it was a BIG step down from the previous generation. The succeeding generations (until the '16) were even worse. But I digress....

The '13 Altima was the first Nissan to bring some real technology (beyond Bluetooth streaming and navigation) to the brand. The blind-spot warning was always good, but the other features (the "Nissan Connect" and the back-up camera particularly) were not all that good considering what's come in the past 3 years. Still, we learned some things from our well-loved Altima that I thought I'd share:

1- The '13 had more than a few recalls (hood latch, fuel pipe), but none that were too significant. The dealer eventually replaced the entire headliner (and windshield which had to be removed to do so) under warranty at 33 months to fix a persistent squeak. There was still a weird noise in the A/C-heater fan that was intermittent so the dealer was never able to verify it enough to fix it. Also, the electric power steering pump (for the hydraulic system) was getting noisier and noisier. If we'd have kept the car, we were going to have it replaced under our Nissan Security+Plus contract.

2- The interior trim wore rather well, particularly the seats, which surprised me. The car was always very comfortable to ride in, especially the rear seats. The paint shield (SunTek) that we had put on the front of the car when we bought it kept everything pristine. That made trade-in time even happier. We got top dollar because of the "excellent" condition of the car (except the tires). Interestingly, the dealer told me that they have no trouble selling V6 used models as they are always in demand versus the countless 4-cylinder cars that flood the used lots. Because so few V6 Altimas were made (and they mostly came fully equipped), people looking for the "best for the least" can find that in a 3.5 SL versus a 2.5 SL.

3- The '16 Altima has been "refreshed" so that it looks somewhat nicer (i.e., more like the '16 Maxima with a much smaller grill), but when equipped as similarly as possible to the top Maxima there is only a $6000 difference. In March (the best month to buy a Nissan as it's their fiscal-year end), they were giving $4500 off the Maxima and $3500 off the similarly-equipped SL Altima (that is if you could still find a 3.5 as they build only 5 out of 100 with the V6). So, the difference was only $5000. For that money, the extra equipment, trim, power, refinement and luxury were well bought. The '16 Maxima was the only car we considered (versus keeping the Altima) of any brand. But, a few rides in the new Maxima convinced us that getting one now was a good move for us. Considering depreciation, it cost us about $250 a month to drive the Altima. Because its trade value was so high (we owned it outright), transferring its value to a new Maxima made sense, particularly because the leaps in technology, comfort and "uniqueness" were dramatic. OK. I digress again...this post is about our Altima...

4- The Deep Blue Pearl paint (which we got on the Maxima) is only offered on the SR Altima with a black interior. Too bad, as this is a great color for any model. The SR trim is only slightly better than the S trim (the SR is meant to capture sales that would go to the SE Camry which makes up 60% of Toyota's sales).

5- The heated steering wheel in the '13 was pathetic, not all all like our '12 Murano or the '16 Maxima. While it does get "partly warm" after a long 10 minutes, that compares to the "very warm in 1 minute" like the others.

6- Although it was recalled and fixed (twice), the heated seats never worked quite right. This was a known issue with the '13 Altima that we just lived with.

7- Although we had the "CVT slipping" issue at about 3-4000 miles, it eventually went away without any intervention. That was a relief.

If anyone's interested in our '16 Maxima experiences (as they happen), perhaps you'll look for "Wallybear" on another forum. If not, that's cool too.

Good luck and "peace" to everyone here! (That means you "OkieScot"!)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey everyone, it's been a very long while since I posted on this forum (for many reasons, but mainly because I tired of all the hassles a regular poster like me would get from the more "troll-like" posters here).

Nevertheless, I decided to post this "last" thread to say that we've traded our 2013 SL 3.5 Altima (Cayenne Red/Beige) for a 2016 Platinum Maxima (Deep Blue Pearl/Cashmere). The Altima was a very good car (only 30500 miles in 3 1/2 years), but because its original tires had finally worn out, we decided to trade it. Seriously, we decided to get the Maxima both because it's "way more car" than the 3.5 Altima and its has lots more technology and luxury features. This time around, the Maxima does not compete with the Altima. They have the same "bones" (basic platform), but Nissan's really gone all out to make the Maxima its flagship once again. Because we've owned two Maximas in years past (an '86 and a '91), I've always had a soft spot for the marque. I still remember how in '95 I was so heartbroken when the '95 Maxima appeared....because it was a BIG step down from the previous generation. The succeeding generations (until the '16) were even worse. But I digress....

The '13 Altima was the first Nissan to bring some real technology (beyond Bluetooth streaming and navigation) to the brand. The blind-spot warning was always good, but the other features (the "Nissan Connect" and the back-up camera particularly) were not all that good considering what's come in the past 3 years. Still, we learned some things from our well-loved Altima that I thought I'd share:

1- The '13 had more than a few recalls (hood latch, fuel pipe), but none that were too significant. The dealer eventually replaced the entire headliner (and windshield which had to be removed to do so) under warranty at 33 months to fix a persistent squeak. There was still a weird noise in the A/C-heater fan that was intermittent so the dealer was never able to verify it enough to fix it. Also, the electric power steering pump (for the hydraulic system) was getting noisier and noisier. If we'd have kept the car, we were going to have it replaced under our Nissan Security+Plus contract.

2- The interior trim wore rather well, particularly the seats, which surprised me. The car was always very comfortable to ride in, especially the rear seats. The paint shield (SunTek) that we had put on the front of the car when we bought it kept everything pristine. That made trade-in time even happier. We got top dollar because of the "excellent" condition of the car (except the tires). Interestingly, the dealer told me that they have no trouble selling V6 used models as they are always in demand versus the countless 4-cylinder cars that flood the used lots. Because so few V6 Altimas were made (and they mostly came fully equipped), people looking for the "best for the least" can find that in a 3.5 SL versus a 2.5 SL.

3- The '16 Altima has been "refreshed" so that it looks somewhat nicer (i.e., more like the '16 Maxima with a much smaller grill), but when equipped as similarly as possible to the top Maxima there is only a $6000 difference. In March (the best month to buy a Nissan as it's their fiscal-year end), they were giving $4500 off the Maxima and $3500 off the similarly-equipped SL Altima (that is if you could still find a 3.5 as they build only 5 out of 100 with the V6). So, the difference was only $5000. For that money, the extra equipment, trim, power, refinement and luxury were well bought. The '16 Maxima was the only car we considered (versus keeping the Altima) of any brand. But, a few rides in the new Maxima convinced us that getting one now was a good move for us. Considering depreciation, it cost us about $250 a month to drive the Altima. Because its trade value was so high (we owned it outright), transferring its value to a new Maxima made sense, particularly because the leaps in technology, comfort and "uniqueness" were dramatic. OK. I digress again...this post is about our Altima...

4- The Deep Blue Pearl paint (which we got on the Maxima) is only offered on the SR Altima with a black interior. Too bad, as this is a great color for any model. The SR trim is only slightly better than the S trim (the SR is meant to capture sales that would go to the SE Camry which makes up 60% of Toyota's sales).

5- The heated steering wheel in the '13 was pathetic, not all all like our '12 Murano or the '16 Maxima. While it does get "partly warm" after a long 10 minutes, that compares to the "very warm in 1 minute" like the others.

6- Although it was recalled and fixed (twice), the heated seats never worked quite right. This was a known issue with the '13 Altima that we just lived with.

7- Although we had the "CVT slipping" issue at about 3-4000 miles, it eventually went away without any intervention. That was a relief.

If anyone's interested in our '16 Maxima experiences (as they happen), perhaps you'll look for "Wallybear" on another forum. If not, that's cool too.

Good luck and "peace" to everyone here! (That means you "OkieScot"!)
Going to miss you! Thank you for all your contribution =)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Congrats! Rare post where someone isn't somehow bashing the 5th gen Altima lol

I agree if you are going with the 3.5 you may as well spend the extra and get the Maxi unless you get a stellar deal on the 3.5 Altima.

PICS???

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Congrats on the Max ! You can continue here , still a Nissan .

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Congrats! Rare post where someone isn't somehow bashing the 5th gen Altima lol

I agree if you are going with the 3.5 you may as well spend the extra and get the Maxi unless you get a stellar deal on the 3.5 Altima.

PICS???
The obsession with "PICS" continues....here you go. Click on Deep Blue Pearl and you will see what his car looks like.

2016 Nissan Maxima Colors and Photos | Nissan USA

·
Registered
422 Posts
After owning a Maxima 11 years ago and two 2.5SL Altimas from 08-16... I made the decision to buy a '16 Maxima SV a few weeks ago. So far it's been a lot of fun!!

Huge difference in interior materials quality, quietness, steering feel, ride comfort & power. Almost 65% more horsepower, but fuel economy was only down about 25%. Granted it's premium fuel but still not that bad of a tradeoff.

The Altima was by no means poor as a daily driver. I just wanted a ride less common and more exciting. There are literally 9-10 Altimas in my apartment complex and I see at least another 10 everytime I go out driving somewhere. Hard to feel like you're driving something unique when that happens lol.

·
Registered
243 Posts
After owning a Maxima 11 years ago and two 2.5SL Altimas from 08-16... I made the decision to buy a '16 Maxima SV a few weeks ago. So far it's been a lot of fun!!

Huge difference in interior materials quality, quietness, steering feel, ride comfort & power. Almost 65% more horsepower, but fuel economy was only down about 25%. Granted it's premium fuel but still not that bad of a tradeoff.

The Altima was by no means poor as a daily driver. I just wanted a ride less common and more exciting. There are literally 9-10 Altimas in my apartment complex and I see at least another 10 everytime I go out driving somewhere. Hard to feel like you're driving something unique when that happens lol.
when you updating ur photo? could always get a toyota yaris... super special :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
when you updating ur photo? could always get a toyota yaris... super special :D
Just updated it. Yeah that would be special, in the worst kind of way. :p I don't know how people here drive a small car with lots of big SUVs and pickups on the roads. Guess they get used to it after a while.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not a slam on anyone that chooses a Maxima, because it's not my money and I don't care that much, but I don't understand why people buy them when you can buy a lightly used Infiniti for about the same price and get a lot more car for your money. I guess this wouldn't be true if you bought one with zero options, but that's a whole other discussion (that starts with "what's the point?").

·
Registered
422 Posts
Not a slam on anyone that chooses a Maxima, because it's not my money and I don't care that much, but I don't understand why people buy them when you can buy a lightly used Infiniti for about the same price and get a lot more car for your money. I guess this wouldn't be true if you bought one with zero options, but that's a whole other discussion (that starts with "what's the point?").
Great question. A g37 sedan has seats that won't fold down. The early q50s have infotainment problems. They also consume more gas. Maybe the attached is overstating it but 17-20mpg in the vq37 is a bit lower than the mid to high 20s I'm seeing in the Max. More expensive to maintain. Rwd is more performance oriented though I will give you that. The G/Q has better overall build quality too I'm sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats! I figured there was a much larger price gap, being that my 13 Altima 2.5 SL as configured was 32k new. I was under the impression that new Maxima's go up to high 40's.

I think the Maxima is a far superior vehicle, but for a price.

My only real complaint with my Altima is the cvt bellowing at low speeds, low rpm, but as long as it doesn't fail, and keeps giving me outstanding fuel economy, its a pretty good all around family car, for the options it has.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts