The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BUCK FUTTER
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crap Crap, damnit to all hell :(
I've been trying to figure out what this rattling is that i'm hearing. I've just about replaced every part of my exhaust, (except ex. manifold and cover, and flex pipe), changed my front tires (someone suggested that it might've been rocks in the rims), and now, some other members suggested that it was my timing chain guide. On my off day, I opened up the valve cover, and took the darned thing off. It didn't look like there was much wear on the other side... maybe a few lines that wern't really worn it. I didn't hear any rattling on the way home, so I was pretty happy, but today, it was as loud as ever! :angry2:
I'm putting back the timing chain guide tomorrow. So i've reduced it down to these final things: Either its the manifold or heatshield attached to the manifold, the flex pipe in front of the cat, or some rocks left in my REAR rims. :bawl: someone PLEASE help a brother out! I'm poor, but I can't stand that noise!! It just sounds like actual rocks rolling around in a can!

·
22,052 Posts
Does it sound like a marble rolling around in a tin can?

You might have removed the upper timing chain guide under the valve cover, but there is another one, the uppertensioner, on the side of the engine, that requires a bit more work to get to. I would try that. There was a writeup done not too long ago. Might be worth scanning through the FAQ and looking for it. You have to remove the passenger side motor mount, and get a little more into the engine, but it's a DIY job, and it will more than likely eliminate any timing chain noise you might have.

Our injectors are also pretty loud, but I doubt that's what you hear.

If the noise comes form the passenger side of the engine, then it's the chain, and you should remove the upper tensioner.

·
BUCK FUTTER
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not so much a marble rolling around a can as much as it is multiple marbles flying around inside a can. Hmm.. I was looking at that other tensionner but figured that the one described was under the valve cover... jeeze, that doesn't sound too easy. One man team :(

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
Removing those timing chain guides doesnt do any harm to your car does it? Cause i have noticed a noise comming from the passenger side of my car, where your feet are located. I even noticed a noise comming from that area thats sort of sounds like rushing water.

·
502 Posts
are you sure the engine isn't pinging? try a higher-octane fuel if you want to test this theory. but usually pinging means something else is messed up.

does it only make noise when the car is moving? if not, look around and listen carefully for the source of the sound, although you probably tried this already.

good luck...

·
BUCK FUTTER
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woah, it doesn't sound like running water, and i'm pretty sure its not knock (low grade octane caused). Its distinct, and I guess i'll have to live with it for now... such a piss off tho! Cruisin' around and theres a buncha really good lookin' women there... then the car rattles like its gonna fall appart on the spot as I go by... :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts