The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
altgoat said:
Anyone know what the torque spec is for spark plugs on the 3.5 (2002 Altima)?
The proper torque for the 3.5 is 14 to 22 ft-lbs. Right out of the Nissan manual. The ignition coil bolt is 57 to 66 INCH-lbs.

The proper torque for the 2.5 is 15 to 21 ft-lbs. Right out of the Nissan manual. The ignition coil bolt is 46 to 64 INCH-lbs.

Be sure to torque the plugs correctly...stripping the threads there is not fun!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The proper torque for the 3.5 is 14 to 22 ft-lbs. Right out of the Nissan manual. The ignition coil bolt is 57 to 66 INCH-lbs.

The proper torque for the 2.5 is 15 to 21 ft-lbs. Right out of the Nissan manual. The ignition coil bolt is 46 to 64 INCH-lbs.

Be sure to torque the plugs correctly...stripping the threads there is not fun!!!!
Adam, Where in the FSM is that ignition coil bolt torque specified? I cannot find it anywhere. Thanks!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,021 Posts
20 ft-lbs is about right, and a lot lower than most disciples of the Teitenhoff Institute would think. Trust me...I stripped an old Mazda aluminum head back in the day without even really trying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
20 ft-lbs is about right, and a lot lower than most disciples of the Teitenhoff Institute would think. Trust me...I stripped an old Mazda aluminum head back in the day without even really trying.
Hey Doug,
I was looking for the FSM reference for the ignition coil bolt torque. Adam above quotes 46-64 in-lb; do you have any idea where in the factory service manual that's documented? I'm trying to get myself smarter on reading that thing and a point in the right direction would be great.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,021 Posts
Eddie....love the request for 'teach a guy to fish'! Ok, expand my sig, click on the Altima FSM's, click on 2002, then on em.pdf (engine mechanical). you'll find this diagram

I assumed you had the four banger, doubt the VQ is much different though. One thing to watch are the units. The coil bolt is ~50 in-lb, or only about 4 ft-lbs of torque. The plug...about 20 ft-lbs.

in general, aim for the middle of the range, so for the plug which is 15-21...aim for 18 on your torque wrench.

Stay safe!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eddie....love the request for 'teach a guy to fish'! Ok, expand my sig, click on the Altima FSM's, click on 2002, then on em.pdf (engine mechanical). you'll find this diagram

View attachment 100446

I assumed you had the four banger, doubt the VQ is much different though. One thing to watch are the units. The coil bolt is ~50 in-lb, or only about 4 ft-lbs of torque. The plug...about 20 ft-lbs.

in general, aim for the middle of the range, so for the plug which is 15-21...aim for 18 on your torque wrench.

Stay safe!
Much obliged for the talk-on, Doug!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts