The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Nissan Sentra XE that is all stock everything (without tweeters or Rockford Fosgate speaker system) Automatic Trans

First issue is that I have noticed that the both the front and rear speaker on the drivers side is not working. I thought that they might be blown so I removed the front driver side speaker and put it in my front passenger side to see if it works and it still does. What could be the problem then making it not work on the driver side? do I need to rewire the speakers?

Second issue is the interior roof light is not working. I changed the light bulb and still nothing. I checked all the fuses and I couldn't find any that were blown.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am new to working on cars and have no idea where to start on fixing either of these issues.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If your left/right balance control is all the way to right you get no sound out of the driver side...........

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
Front and rear speakers are independently wired to the audio unit. If both have failed on one side, there is no single wire or speaker that could cause this issue. Most likely the audio unit has failed and needs replacing.

If you move balance to fully be drivers side do you hear any kind of hiss or faint audio from the driver door speaker even with volume cranked way up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front and rear speakers are independently wired to the audio unit. If both have failed on one side, there is no single wire or speaker that could cause this issue. Most likely the audio unit has failed and needs replacing.

If you move balance to fully be drivers side do you hear any kind of hiss or faint audio from the driver door speaker even with volume cranked way up?
So I turned the volume up to max on the speakers that are not producing sound and they did not have any sound at all. no hiss or crackles

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
To me, that says that the left side internal amplifier has failed, which is probably integral in your radio. I would source a used one and swap it in, or spend a bit more and go to a more featureful Android based aftermarket unit.

The last test to do would be to put an ohmeter across the connector terminals (after disconnecting from the radio) and measure the coil impedance (resistance) of the left speakers....my guess is they'll both read 2, 4 or 8 ohm (which means they and the wiring are still good)...then you know for sure the radio is done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To me, that says that the left side internal amplifier has failed, which is probably integral in your radio. I would source a used one and swap it in, or spend a bit more and go to a more featureful Android based aftermarket unit.

The last test to do would be to put an ohmeter across the connector terminals (after disconnecting from the radio) and measure the coil impedance (resistance) of the left speakers....my guess is they'll both read 2, 4 or 8 ohm (which means they and the wiring are still good)...then you know for sure the radio is done.
Thanks so much for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts