The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Pioneer TS-A1667 6 1/2"'s in my front doors, running off my head unit (Sony CAX650), and when I fade to the front, and have the volume half way up it sounds like crap..it gets distorted as all hell....

My friend said that first off the speakers are under powered because my headunit only puts out 52x4 MAX and rms is more like 25 watts.... and the speakers want 50 watts rms....so basically my question is, if I get an amp to push them 50 watts rms.....would the sound quality be better/or could I turn them up louder??

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
ok 1st off your friends is an idiot.

speakers do NOT get distorded from under powering, they get distorded from too much bass or over powering.

so an amp would be nice because most have a internal x-over, so that it would block all the lower hz, that cause distortion.

·
Registered
288 Posts
m3dia_lab said:

speakers do NOT get distorded from under powering, they get distorded from too much bass or over powering.

so an amp would be nice because most have a internal x-over, so that it would block all the lower hz, that cause distortion.
Your friend is kind of an idiot...but actually it's easy to get distortion through a head unit. The reason is clipping...sure the amount of rms power going to the speakers can't blow them from overpowering, but if you turn the volume up too loud you could definitely run the h/u amp into clipping, causing the signal to be MUCH higher than even it's max output.

However, I doubt this is the case since your head unit is only up to half volume. Like media said, it's most likely because your speakers are getting frequencies they're not meant to handle...for an easy solution just go to radio shack and buy 2 ~470 microFarad capacitors and wire them inline with the + terminal of the speaker and it'll cut out all the frequencies below 85 Hz which is good, esp if you have a sub.

619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had bass blockers installed on the +, i have... PAC BB-1 Bass blockers...but they CUT OUT realllllly bad!!!! like it sounded like shit they just cut out....and i disliked the way it sounded.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Before you spend any more $$$ make sure your speakers are not wired out of phase.

If you adjust your balance either left or right does the bass appear to sound a little better???

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
underpowering isn't good either. I have pioneer 6.5's in my car running off the headunit(less power than yours) and they don't distort. I would check to see if you have the speakers hooked up right. See if you have your bass turned up too high on your headunit also.

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
m3dia_lab said:

What do you mean speakers won't get distortion from under powering? The output distortion can come from anything including an underpowered clipping amp, hell, it can come from the source unit or even from the media it is playing.

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
BRAD#3 said:
Before you spend any more $$$ make sure your speakers are not wired out of phase.

If you adjust your balance either left or right does the bass appear to sound a little better???
This doesn't explain a thing about his issues though, the output sounding thin or very null is when wired out-of-phase is a suspect.

·
master of the custom cai
885 Posts
amp your internal speakers like i did!! you wont regret it!! pick up a 400Wx4 4 channel amp. (also if your sony head unit has RCA speaker preouts like my sony, that would work best, instead of using speaker wire)

HEAD unit(RCA cables)=======(amp)

speakersFront-------------------(to amp -)
++++++++++++++++++(to amp +)

speakers rear---------------(to amp -)
++++++++++++++++++(to amp +)

619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...

The speakers are installed properly, that's not an issue. my basic question is how much of a difference would running my speakers off an amp oppose to a head unit make? I think that my speakers aren't performing optimally because they are 1. underpowered (head unit only gives 25 watts rms) and 2. the head unit i have singal/noise rating sucks. So i think that if i ran my speakers with 50 watts rms from an amp with a 95 or better s/n rating that'd there'd be a dramatic difference in sq.

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
Re: Ok...

EddieBauerPrep said:
The speakers are installed properly, that's not an issue. my basic question is how much of a difference would running my speakers off an amp oppose to a head unit make? I think that my speakers aren't performing optimally because they are 1. underpowered (head unit only gives 25 watts rms) and 2. the head unit i have singal/noise rating sucks. So i think that if i ran my speakers with 50 watts rms from an amp with a 95 or better s/n rating that'd there'd be a dramatic difference in sq.
HU signals easliy get clipped. well i dont thing a s/n ratio on an amp would matter is your HU has a shit s/n, because thats the signal its gettting.

but its wouldent be clipping...

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
poisonfist said:
What do you mean speakers won't get distortion from under powering? The output distortion can come from anything including an underpowered clipping amp, hell, it can come from the source unit or even from the media it is playing.
well, i didnt take clipping in consideration, but i would be guessing that the source and media would be clean.... this is just my guessing that he is knowing how its "supposted" to sound....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts