The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2003 2.5s automatic and I.ve installed a K&N air filter. It runs great, but (and I know you're not supposed to drive this fast) it will not go over 115 mph, and still has 2000 rpm to go before hitting redline. I've asked the dealer why, even if I have z or w rated tires, and he feeds me some bull story about axle rotation speed, etc. Is this bull, or are they right, and the car just should not be driven over 115? Also, I've done an exhaustive net search for any mods available for the 2.5 engine computer, and come up empty handed. Too bad 'cause the 2.5 engine has bunches of potential for 200 plus horsepower! :sad:

·
Banned
0 Posts
You don't need to be going more than 115. No one makes a chip for the 2.5s to remove the limiter...Go with a piggyback or something for more performance. Also, I hear that 3rd (auto) will attain higher speed than O/D. After reading this, I wouldn't trust you at the speed limit. Don't kill anyone else when you wreck.

·
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
3rd gear auto. top speed

digitalbow, For one thing, I don't always drive that fast, was just wanting tech info about the axle thing etc. The 3.5s has a governor too, but is set at 130 or 135 mph, I forget. p.s. I also know how to drive and when I can and can't drive that fast. You sound like a retired CHP officer or something. Also when trying for top speed in the 2.5. automatic, the thing hits redline at just a touch above 100 mph, in third gear.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,789 Posts
130 on the 02...........But it was dropped on the newer ones hahahaaahahhaha

·
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boys, boys! I'm just trying to find out what, if anything can be done to the 2.5, besides K&N and those lawn mower sounding 40mm canon exhaust pipes, to get better acceleration, etc. from it. I,m not a wild eyed speed freak or anything like that, I just like a car to operate up to it's potential; which the 2.5 does not. It's a great running and looking car, but I bought it because I didn't have the additional six grand or so that the dealers around here want for the 3.5. Please, some intelligent input! Thanks.

·
There is no SPOON!
175 Posts
wild willy said:
130 on the 02...........But it was dropped on the newer ones hahahaaahahhaha
bull.... i've taken mine past 130 when i was racing a TL and an M5... and its a 2003 3.5SE... drafting an M5 so that i can reach 130MPH faster is priceless

·
Registered Abuser
284 Posts
:bullshit:

·
Anti-Elitist
1,555 Posts
^^ Good call.

But the 2.5 is very limited in aftermarket. There is always intakes, exhaust, wheels, suspension, etc., but computer is limited. Once again, no need to go over 115. I don't care how often (or rare), on public (or private) streets there is no purpose. Although it'd be nice to see what it could go, I wouldn't see any need to do it.

I also wouldn't doubt the rotation speed, but the usual explanation is tire speed ratings. But depending on the design of the shaft, it has limits to it's rotational speed (rpm) vs. it's horsepower (or torque)

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,789 Posts
Xx Bellucci xX said:
bull.... i've taken mine past 130 when i was racing a TL and an M5... and its a 2003 3.5SE... drafting an M5 so that i can reach 130MPH faster is priceless
If you are a 5 speed then yes..If you are automatic, your speedo is off. We are limited to 130.......Nissan did not let a few slip by with out the limiter

·
Registered Abuser
284 Posts
but he was drafting...so he could be going 175 and the car wount know...see thats how he fools the car computer

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,789 Posts
Lol^^^

·
Registered
9 Posts
seriously though, if you are planning on racing, take it to the track or a drag strip. also, im not sure exactly how much your income is, but one thing i have found to make things easy, is to trade in early, before it has lost too much value. i gotta 3.5L 2005 Altima, and it is limited at 125, or something around there. and PLEASE dont race full throttle till you get your car good (brakes, suspension, properlt inflated tires, etc.). sorry, i have seen alot of "racers" that didnt know what they were doing and have had tires blown out, trying to take a corner with no after market suspension, tires, alignment, and stuff. and ive heard many stories of people going too fast cuz they popped in a twin turbo, yet put in no good brakes or tires. i know like, 3 cops that all have theyre stories. just use common sense is all im saying, no matter how good you are at racing or how well you know how to drive, you also have to have a car capable of emergency situations is all. ps, i havent taken my car that fast, ive only gone about 100, im still stock. i just took the top speed off of a website, not sure what it was sorry.

·
longhorn
3 Posts
Yeah it actually only let's you get to 112 in the 2.5 Altima and i'm sick and tired of everyone doing the whole there's no need to go that fast when there is talk of a governor, there is a multimillion dollar market on aftermarket auto parts for increasing speed and power to superfluous levels. Where the hell would you need a car to go 130...there isn't...if you have a sports car I have no doubt that you are and plan to break laws...so just shut up about the "there's no need." Still I do think that you should upgrade your brakes and tires because of the dangers of going that speed. But it sucks that there are no plans on anyone reconfiguring the ECU on the 2.5 to remove the speed limiter. I know the rev limiter can't be changed because of the internal parts of the engine not being able to handle high revs. But its really a shame that you reach the top speed of the 2.5L in 4000 rpms...well i guess we just have to do everything to get to 112 quicker.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,789 Posts
Mine is limited to 157..pisses me off...oops wrong car..wrong forum..HAHAHAAH

·
Banned
0 Posts
longhorn2k9 said:
Yeah it actually only let's you get to 112 in the 2.5 Altima and i'm sick and tired of everyone doing the whole there's no need to go that fast when there is talk of a governor
proving that you're 17...
Get a bike or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i know, like ive said ive gone a hundred. im talking to all the ones that try to be a racer by throwing in a twin turbo and then floor it in the city during heavy traffic hours, well, depending on where you live heavy traffic is different, like in new york, during heavy traffic, you aint goin nowhere, but where i live, its not that bad. to digital bow, you know youve got youre young side, admit it. why the hell else would you but a sports car. lets face it, most who own a ferrari or a s7 wont be racing in the la mans. althouigh i admit that i really think people should try to go to the track to race more often, to get everyone to is impossible, so the next best thing is teach them to race and to tune their car to handle emergencies at high speeds.

·
slowly losing my sanity..
1,000 Posts
froedrick said:
Boys, boys! I'm just trying to find out what, if anything can be done to the 2.5, besides K&N and those lawn mower sounding 40mm canon exhaust pipes, to get better acceleration, etc. from it.
Search before you ask.. There is a lot of info on performance upgrades here.("Froedrick"?? hehe.. should have gotten a Volvo, like the rest of your friends..)

·
Shift_Nismo
139 Posts
Xx Bellucci xX said:
iwell the only time i ever book it is when i visit my parents up in naples, it's about an 1 1/2 hr trip, the limiter stop my speed at 119 mph with my foot at the top of the pedal. i'm not saying it's okay to go at that speed but i just do it on the empty interstate to get from point A to point be as quick as possible. i guess they made a couple of adjustments when made my model damn tech
:angry2: lol as for racing at those speeds, its rediculous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
of course theres better ways of improving acceleration. get a good aftermarket transmission, a triple plate cluth, throw in a turbo, twin turbo, or supercharger, whatever strikes your fancy, they all have advantages an disadvantages, lower the weight, basically improve the weight:power ratio as much as possible, get good tires for a better start, get a really aerodynamic body, get lowering springs, etc, etc. there is an almost endless amount of things you can do, get racing fuels, jpracingfuels.com . also, take an automotive class, or two, or five, they all help save money in the long run when you know how to operate on your baby. youde be suprised how much auto mechanics rip you off sometimes (well maybe not that suprised. it helps cut through the crap. likie people removing the shroud and the engine overheats and peiople think they need a new engine. theres alot of good stories of human stupidity out there. the kind of stupidity where lightning strikes on a golf course are like, the #1 cause of enviromental injuries. i have absolutely no idea how i got on this subject. back to the beginning, search up on stuff, like whats his name said. sorry cANT REMEMBER HIS NAME. oh his name is phreekee25. like he said

1 - 20 of 82 Posts