The Nissan Club banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
phreekee25, sorry to disappoint you, but most of my friends drive GM junk and end up with hideous valve lifter noise and crud for everything else around 70K. I wasn't trying to start an argument about top speed driving or anything. I just grew up at a time (in the 60's) when a traffic light was not just a place to stop, but it was an opportunity. But thanks for all the discussion guys. It was a great discourse!

·
slowly losing my sanity..
1,000 Posts
my apologies, froedie.

btw, i've done 122mph, level road. don't know if that was max or not... '02, 2.5s, 5 speed, no upgrades. maybe the other member was right about limit change in '03+.

·
slowly losing my sanity..
1,000 Posts
...hmm... or maybe my 26.7" diameter wheels (Vs. stock 26.3") gave a false speedo.. (245/45/18s)

·
Registered
9 Posts
110mph... Damn the imperial numbers... The 180 on my speedo is much more impressive... Either way, 180kph is pretty pathetic especially considering the 200 i've hit in my 02' Protege auto... Er... 120 for you imps...

·
Registered
226 Posts
wild willy said:
130 on the 02...........But it was dropped on the newer ones hahahaaahahhaha

are you sure its 130? b\c ive been 145mph in my 2003 3.5 and i dont have technosquare or any other type of tuning done to my car

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,789 Posts
You are manual..Mine is automatic..And I am certain mine dies at 130. Yours should not

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bit off topic, but does the KnN really help with the acceleration?

I was out on the backroads with a couple of friends... One in an older BMW M3, and the other in a Celica GT-S... We did a bit of a roll on off a turn onto a long stretch... The M3 flew off into the darkness of course... but I didn't end up getting passed by the GT-S until I was nearing 4k in 3rd... CVVT in the 2.5 really sucks... I hate the bogging down kind of sound it makes in the upper rev range... The lift in the GT-S is in a whole different ballpark... Either way not much of a race...

I'm thinking of ordering a simple ebay intake and supplementing that with a K&N cone filter. There's some positive feedback on the forums, but we'll see I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes it it decreases the weight:power ratio, or increases hp:weight ratio, what ever way you wanna look at it. dont expect a super good change, like 50 horses or something though. and if possible get a circular cold air intake, its alot better than the stock flat airfilter. CVVT? wats that (sorry i dont know). ive heard of cvt but altimas dont have that stock, i dont think, just manual and automatic/manumatic or something like that.

·
3498 cc
1,188 Posts
CVVT = continuously variable valve timing

·
changeyour|gameplan
380 Posts
wild willy said:
You are manual..Mine is automatic..And I am certain mine dies at 130. Yours should not
ww I was doing some 'testing' on some miles of straight flat open road a couple weekends ago and found myself at 125 [edit] 132 in the 05. Did you say it is supposed to be limited at 115? I don't really want to keep testing this, but I'd like to know what the deal is. OEM OD on my tires, no funky mods, etc.

·
Anti-Elitist
1,555 Posts
2.5 is limited at ~112. There was LONG thread on it a while back. 3.5 is higher, not sure of number though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SuperBeast... lol... u need to stop smoking weed... power:weight ratio??? I just want to know how noticeable the effect would be... CVT is continuously variable transmission... you can find that on a Murano... I think you should catch up on your reading before posting...

Another off topic bit... I think I might have already asked this before somewhere so just ignore me if you don't feel like answering... but do the electronically controlled throttles in the newer Altima models change the response of the car in the way it uses it's transmission (auto) in comparison to "old school" cable?... There's a really annoying quirk that I still haven't gotten used to... Whenever the car shifts into a higher gear I usually immediately apply slightly more throttle... sometimes the car responds by throwing it back into the previous gear and I get a really nasty jolt from it... it's a lot more noticeable on uphills... I wonder if previous models had this kind of problem...

I thought I read somewhere that the throttle delivers torque based on the percentage of applied throttle ie. 70% throttle = 70% Available Torque in Gear best able to deliver it... I guess this would explain the touchiness in the throttle... but why wouldn't it be better for the electronic throttle to emulate a conventional wired throttle? I would think the feel would be much improved... IMO it's way too touchy... It's not too bad for me when I pay attention and not gun it off the line... but for my dad who doesn't have as much dexterity, he chirps the tires on a regular basis from any given stop... It's probably a combo of his lead foot, the shitty tires, the stupid throttle and the natural torquiness of engine... Anyways... just sort of ranting...

·
Registered
9 Posts
you have got to be kidding me. youve never heard of weight to horsepower ratio? i new what CVT is i didnt know they had that on the altima. plus, me likes me weed.

·
Shift_Goddamnit
259 Posts
so my 1 gen is faster than a second in the long haul?(120mph).you could always get taller tires.......that would fool the computer-but it would look :davey:

·
changeyour|gameplan
380 Posts
midnight, on your jerk back tranny rant-- I had that with my 02 SE and 05 SE, but the SE-R doesn't seem to have that built in "feature"... I'm not sure what would be different to eliminate that major frustration, but at least for me, it's gone. It just seems to shift smarter overall. None of that up down jerk bang stuff I got ocassionally on other ones... Especially after braking moderately, then gassing again pretty quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i really dont smoke. i was kiddin, i 4got 2 rite that. and as you can tell im new, im only in auto one. but me lookin like a retard is what makes me learn faster so...yea. dont be afraid to call me a retard. and the weight:power ratio is a....thingy, dont know how to explain it. but 1 horse=550 ftlbs/sec, i think, i know its 33000 ftlbs/min. but its basically sayin the instead of the 33000 ft lbs/min you have the ratio thing that comes from dividing the horsepower by the weight, or something like that. but you know what i mean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
lol... no worries welcome to the forum. I get what you're saying, just that an intake alone is not going to affect your power:weight ratio by anything worth noting... I mean (175+5)/1500(guessing on weight) especially when looking at whp... Just that we don't really talk about power:weight ratio for something like this, I mean really... I'm just trying to improve the performace on my midsize family sedan lol... You've got your numbers all messed up too... ft lbs is torque... and your conversions are off lol...

·
Registered
9 Posts
damn! i thought u were an idiot, in reality it was me. for some reason when you said backroads i thought u meant off road, like rally, not really 4 wheelin but yea. im pathetic i know. also, do u know the conversion for bhp to whp? i forget. i read it in my auto book an wrote it down somewhere but i have no idea where. what year is yours midnight? sorry if youve already answered that. im wish i lived somewhere where people knew what they were doin. where i live everyone buys a civic, front wheel drive, an put a rear spoiler and a widened exaust on it and think theyre racers. then they floor it around courners (not racing floor it, im talking 80 mph turns, then crankin up the ebrake because they think lifes a video game and are too stupid to take even the simplest of the simplest of physics classes and try to tell me they know about cars. i mean, one of them told me he wants to buy a lamborgini diablo and put a lift on it an take it off roadin, the retard doesnt even know the diff between all wheel and 4 wheel, yet he tries to act like he knows everything, you know, where hes all cocky and crap,. needa knock him out but im better than that cuz i have a future an ill get my revenge. although i really have to work on my....trailing off, i do that alot, i have no idea how i got on this subject so yea. any ways, i was jus saying how i didnt get why u were takin an m3 offroadin, in reality i just was an idiot. oh while im here, my moms car squeals when she turns the wheels, but only sometimes... yea, does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

·
Shift_Goddamnit
259 Posts
power steering?

·
Registered
9 Posts
oh, i have my physics book here, it is 550 ft*lbs/sec. and this is ft/lbs/sec, not foot pounds. this mean that one horse would carry 550 lbs one foot in one second. but you probably already know that so ill spare the details cuz i dont care right now, i have to go.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts