The Nissan Club banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Froedrick:

This is the first time I get on this thread by accident not that I am looking for info and I am disgusted at the way the others talk back to you in this forum. People: It is Froedrick's choice to go as fast as he wants to and breaks law as much as he wants to no different than you do it with 3.5. If you do not have an answer, say you don't and don't get person to other Nissan fans. Of course, it is not right if Froedrick intends to do his racing or speeding with other people around. A 2.5 with the stock rated HP can definitely go above the 110 or whatever without the limiter. In the old days, any small car with 90-100 hp can get that fast at WOT, may take a while. Froedrick, if you are wanting to go straight and for speed, you don't need any of the other things these guys are talking about. 120 or 130 is no different than 110 if you go straigh and not doing any funny thing. On the other hand, if you do funny thing at that kind of speed, none of those after market stuff will help much to save you. If you want faster acceleration, you will need many of the air-fuel-timing stuff, if you want only to corner much faster, you need more suspension and tires but much more HP/torque is rally only needed for racing but not if you only want the thrill to cut it at a certain speed, if you need to race in the track as an amatuer, you will like to have many of the these things. I don't play with these things...but, from a technical sense stand point, if you are desperate and cannot find a different programming, you may think about cheating the chip and see how the transmission or gear shifter communciate electronically to the chip that the car is in 3 gear even though it is mechanically in overdrive and it may be some sort of switches and wires which you can flip-flop since one of you say that the liimiter does not seem to limit the rev in 3 rd. Good luck. However, don't take the ---- from these people when all you ask for is technical info.

·
Banned
0 Posts
FRM240 said:
Froedrick:
However, don't take the ---- from these people when all you ask for is technical info.
Yo, we still gave him some suggestions... but come on, this guy is 40 years older than me and talking like a 16 year old who just got his license. There isn't much you can do with the 2.5 and I think we covered everything. Get off his nuts, he's a grown man.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree it is a bit disappointing that car tops out around 115. It feels solid, no shimmy or twitchiness at that speed, and only turning around 4300rpms. Not that that speed is necessary, lucky if you can run 85-90 on interstate anymore.

·
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
One last comment on the speed governor thing. Here in Nevada, we used to have no speed limit at all. That was before the great gas shortage (55mph law) lie of 1974. We are still so low in overall population, that there are many places with excellent highways that a guy can go and drive on a straight stretch of highway for 40 or 50 miles and never see another car or H.P. for that matter. If you guys think I drive like that all the time, guess who's suffering from delusions? Tain't me!

·
Registered
29 Posts
...on my 05 3.5Se 5spd: governor cuts in at 117mph

some 05 owners on here have reported higher speeds ....shrugs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let me see how you were so disregarded!!

You posted day 1: I've got a 2003 2.5s automatic and I.ve installed a K&N air filter. It runs great, but (and I know you're not supposed to drive this fast) it will not go over 115 mph, and still has 2000 rpm to go before hitting redline. I've asked the dealer why, even if I have z or w rated tires, and he feeds me some bull story about axle rotation speed, etc. Is this bull, or are they right, and the car just should not be driven over 115? Also, I've done an exhaustive net search for any mods available for the 2.5 engine computer, and come up empty handed. Too bad 'cause the 2.5 engine has bunches of potential for 200 plus horsepower!

K&N: This thing feels better but usually does not offer you significant gain in air flow, especially below max RPM when you really do NOT have a breathing problem. On the other hand, if the micron (hole size) of the paper is too large, you have find dirt going into your cylinder to prematurely wear out the rings/cylinder and you end up losing HP at a young mileage.

You top speed is limited by program to chop you off. It is not a sign of engine having or not having enough peak HP. I don't confess to have the verified story but it is likely due to liability from accident with recommended/stock (cheaper) tires offered for that model & therefore the rating limiting the safe speed. Relaxing for one with Z tire will not prevent you from going back to lower rating tires therefore liability is too high ($) and the impact on brand reputation.....

The engine is rated at 150 HP (whatever that is) and you are not limited from extracitng that HP at lower gear. That much HP is always there at top/rated RPM full throttle but in overdrive, they cut you off at 115 road speed (can cut you out at a certian RPM).

As for chipping. I do not believe you can squeeze out 25% more HP from a different ignition timeing curve and possibly some fuel enrichment. It take more. Simple logic - at full throttle, you pull in max air, therefore there is only that much fuel you can out in, yes, you can stretch your rev/RPM a little to boost both, and the timing is more optimal to dirty the outside air a little, but 25%, from 2.5L without other mod, a stretch.

If there is not chip, no off the shelf solution, time to give up unless you know how to cheap and play around. Why are you drawing so much fire. Now, you are not trying to say you can get close to a 3.5. That is impossible all things being equal!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Apexi Rev/ Speed Meter GP is supposed to be able to remove the speed governer, but who knows if this will work for sure or not. I wouldn't mind one, but I really don't have any need for something like this. If someone does get one for thier car, be sure to post about its affect on the speed governer... It's really dissapointing that there's even a governer in place for a car like this because of a shitty set of tires they decided to include... Even my old Protege came with Dunlop all season performance radials whose speed rating was way over what the car could hit... sad to say, but it was a lot more than my 40HP advantaged Altima is capable of...

I can't believe that I'd actually have to pay $150 <CAD> just to drive the car the way I want to... Luckily I don't have such an insatiable need for speed... BTW, what are the stock tires rated up too? I didn't even bother checking when I found out there was a limiter...

·
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The stock Connies or Bridgestones are T rated and good for a max speed of 118 mph on the 2.5 cars. I believe the 3.5's come with H rated tires good for 130 mph. I may be wrong on the 3.5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The answer is very simple......Laws of Physics. The 2.5 just does not exert enough power to push the car (a large car) through the wall of wind at 115 MPH even though it is only at 4800 rpm. For example, It takes just 268 hp to make a car go 155mph, and it takes an addtional 742 HP to get the same car to reach 255 MPH. Simply because of the laws of physics.

·
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Obvious update: Since all this was written some time ago, I found that SEs with leather (or the SLs) have T rated 16s (just like the 2.5s), and the SEs with cloth and a manual trans have V rated 17s, the standard SE will govern out around 140 mph, as per my avatar. That pic is my speedo showing 141. I've heard that the SEs with auto. trans are limited to 130. Don't know why. Must be something about the auto. trans. And the SLs or SEs with leather, for some dumb Nissan reasoning, are limited to around 114 because of the 16" T rated tires.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine is 117mph, no bones about it. I have cloth interior with 5sp.

·
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
^ That's strange. My 06 3.5SE 5 spd. will do at least 140. We're both set up about the same. I would think your's should do at least the same as mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
  1. I just bought my 2002 Altima 3.5se. I love the ride. I've gone to junk yards to find parts. I had Aamoco Transmissions rebuild my transmission. AC and heat didn't work so I got the electrical board behind my cover replaced it. $15 bucks for the fix. But I would like to know if I get vented rotors with my stock calipers, does that help or is it a waste of money?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Your front rotors should already be vented, no? No point venting the rears on these cars, they are pretty weak overall.

You might want to do something like the BBK I did on my Gen4...see my sig below and click on BBK (big brake kit) for more detail. The Gen3 is different from the Gen4, but another retro'd the concept to his...look for BPuff57's post...think he used some 350Z parts instead of M35.

One other thing, welcome to the Gen3 ownership club...I drove an '03 3.5SE for over a decade...you'll want to search for and read the '25 things that whent wrong' thread...search on 'whent'...that typo makes it easier to find. Never mind...read and enjoy...keep going until you get all 43 things ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your front rotors should already be vented, no? No point venting the rears on these cars, they are pretty weak overall.

You might want to do something like the BBK I did on my Gen4...see my sig below and click on BBK (big brake kit) for more detail. The Gen3 is different from the Gen4, but another retro'd the concept to his...look for BPuff57's post...think he used some 350Z parts instead of M35.

One other thing, welcome to the Gen3 ownership club...I drove an '03 3.5SE for over a decade...you'll want to search for and read the '25 things that whent wrong' thread...search on 'whent'...that typo makes it easier to find. Never mind...read and enjoy...keep going until you get all 43 things ;)

Thanks. I'm glad I joined. I'll check out what you said.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts