The Nissan Club banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what's going on, but you should have had vented front rotors...that's stock/OEM. See below...all the pics show vented...somebody must've done a cheap brake job at some point...because even the 2.5 Alti gets vented fronts. In which case, yes, it will make a heckuva difference.

·
Registered
‘08 alti 3.5 SL
9 Posts
whew i scrolled thru this whole thing… this thread is THRIVING. 😂

i came here cuz i have an ‘08 3.5 SL w the leather interior. speedo says 160 but car tops out at 115-120 mph everytime without fail. i know it’s not my tires cuz i’ve tried about 3 different sets, each rated R or ZR. i can literally be flooring it up to that point then i’ll feel the engine cut power and coast at just enough RPMs to stay at 120 (guessing that’s about 3-4k rpms). definitely come to the conclusion that it’s the speed governor/limiter, i believe my transmission, throttle and the other parts are still in semi-good health (pretty sure some parts need replacing and mods are coming). i just came to see what everyone’s opinions & experiences have been and if there’s a way to modify or remove it, whichever’s better.

side note- so the speed governor limits the MPH your vehicle can get to. right?
then there’s the rev limiter. limits how high your RPMs can actually get to avoid redlining. right?
do they work hand in hand to keep the vehicle from going a certain speed? is it better to change one or the other/both ? or am i completely wrong and they’re the same thing ?

- rahn

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
There is only rev limiter not speed, it does same thing.

It turns out Joan Claybrook was right in thinking brains would be foolish enough to think that a speedo saying 160 means the car can do it, all back in 1980. Of course you would blow every single rod out of the bottom of motor trying to hit anywhere near that.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
whew i scrolled thru this whole thing… this thread is THRIVING. 😂

i came here cuz i have an ‘08 3.5 SL w the leather interior. speedo says 160 but car tops out at 115-120 mph everytime without fail. i know it’s not my tires cuz i’ve tried about 3 different sets, each rated R or ZR. i can literally be flooring it up to that point then i’ll feel the engine cut power and coast at just enough RPMs to stay at 120 (guessing that’s about 3-4k rpms). definitely come to the conclusion that it’s the speed governor/limiter, i believe my transmission, throttle and the other parts are still in semi-good health (pretty sure some parts need replacing and mods are coming). i just came to see what everyone’s opinions & experiences have been and if there’s a way to modify or remove it, whichever’s better.

side note- so the speed governor limits the MPH your vehicle can get to. right?
then there’s the rev limiter. limits how high your RPMs can actually get to avoid redlining. right?
do they work hand in hand to keep the vehicle from going a certain speed? is it better to change one or the other/both ? or am i completely wrong and they’re the same thing ?

- rahn
Wow...just WOW!

Are there really people out there who believe that the tires limit their top speed?

Providing of course the wheel size is OEM, and the tire size is OEM.

·
Registered
‘08 alti 3.5 SL
9 Posts
Wow...just WOW!

Are there really people out there who believe that the tires limit their top speed?

Providing of course the wheel size is OEM, and the tire size is OEM.
that’s not what i said. certain lower rated tires perform worse or even blow out when hitting speeds they handle. where’s the harm in me getting tires i know for sure can handle whatever speed i’m going ? i specifically asked about the limiter because i know the vehicle’s speed is electronically controlled. i’m asking for more info on that device.

·
Registered
‘08 alti 3.5 SL
9 Posts
There is only rev limiter not speed, it does same thing.

It turns out Joan Claybrook was right in thinking brains would be foolish enough to think that a speedo saying 160 means the car can do it, all back in 1980. Of course you would blow every single rod out of the bottom of motor trying to hit anywhere near that.

I used to laugh at my '80 speedo that only ran to 85 mph and I could bury the needle in the middle of 3rd gear with 2 more left to go on a Honda 750 DOHC.
just because a speedo says a certain number does not mean the car can hit that speed under normal circumstances. i also did not say that 😂
you can feel when the vehicle cuts power, and that it still has power to give afterwards, but that something is LIMITING what it’s putting out. yes, it’s quite obvious that you cannot hit those speeds with stock parts and setup, which is also why i’m planning to redo the whole car. which is the whole reason i’m attempting to learn more about this. can’t do the work if i don’t know anything about it.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
'...speedo says 160 but car tops out at 115-120 mph everytime without fail.'

'...just because a speedo says a certain number does not mean the car can hit that speed under normal circumstances.'

I always like it when they ask then answer their own questions.

And uh, the poster is probably getting pretty close to discussing things likely not in sites' best interests and likely too against site rules. I.E., the discussion of driving cars at top speeds to get somebody killed. We are actually not supposed to help with that, there is legal liability there.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
My understanding of the "speed governor" is this:

The ECU monitors the transmission mounted speed sensor to determine vehicle speed. When the factory set vehicle speed limit is reached, the ECU cuts the fuel flow to the engine to slow the car.

But, I may be wrong.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,789 Posts
I can tell you this...on my 02 SE and my 12 SR.....limiter kicks in @ 130

Reactions: Throckmorton

·
Registered
‘08 alti 3.5 SL
9 Posts
My understanding of the "speed governor" is this:

The ECU monitors the transmission mounted speed sensor to determine vehicle speed. When the factory set vehicle speed limit is reached, the ECU cuts the fuel flow to the engine to slow the car.

But, I may be wrong.
see that’s what i’m understanding it to be as well, something that simply reads and limits your speed.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Computer reads both car speed and engine rpm as well as TPS output to be able to tell you are topping the car out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a 2003 2.5s automatic and I.ve installed a K&N air filter. It runs great, but (and I know you're not supposed to drive this fast) it will not go over 115 mph, and still has 2000 rpm to go before hitting redline. I've asked the dealer why, even if I have z or w rated tires, and he feeds me some bull story about axle rotation speed, etc. Is this bull, or are they right, and the car just should not be driven over 115? Also, I've done an exhaustive net search for any mods available for the 2.5 engine computer, and come up empty handed. Too bad 'cause the 2.5 engine has bunches of potential for 200 plus horsepower! :sad:
hello i have a 2004 altima and im also looking around. i found a site the other day called nissan performance chip. they have what you looking for. the cost is from 99$ to 150$. i havent get one yet cause im waiting on my cat back exhaust and headers to arrive them ill see on getting the chip. goodluck nissan friend. stay up. lets show honda what nissan can do

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello nissan world i just got my rims yesterday. cant wait to get them on. money tight like a ticks ass so have to wait till taxes. lol

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,789 Posts
hello nissan world i just got my rims yesterday. cant wait to get them on. money tight like a ticks ass so have to wait till taxes. lol
What's it like to get a refund? Fuk taxes..I had to pay $6K last year

·
Registered
8 Posts
Computer reads both car speed and engine rpm as well as TPS output to be able to tell you are topping the car out.
hello everyone... about this situation, is thier a way to get around ECU monitors? where can i find this ECU in my car? please tell me.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
hello i have a 2004 altima and im also looking around. i found a site the other day called nissan performance chip. they have what you looking for. the cost is from 99$ to 150$. i havent get one yet cause im waiting on my cat back exhaust and headers to arrive them ill see on getting the chip. goodluck nissan friend. stay up. lets show honda what nissan can do
Performance chips normally give you 45-60 extra horsepower, 10 more if you purchase the sticker and install it in the left rear window....at least in your mind.

Search results for query: performance chip | The Nissan Club

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
hello everyone... about this situation, is thier a way to get around ECU monitors? where can i find this ECU in my car? please tell me.
Why do you need to know where the ECU is in your car? What are you going to do once you find it?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,789 Posts
Why do you need to know where the ECU is in your car? What are you going to do once you find it?
If you can't find it.....when someone shows you...you probably better not touch it.

Reactions: Throckmorton
61 - 80 of 82 Posts