The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would anybody have any idea as to why my speed odometer won't work? i also have that heads up display speed odometer too that appears on the windshield and neither one will work so if anybody has any suggestions i'd appreciate it:angry4:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have this problem too. But I only have this problem when it gets cold outside...I'm planning on looking at it today. But I'm sure it's the voltage output circuit to the ECM. I will fill you end after I fix mine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
same thing happens to me when it's cold it won't work..but if i drive around for a few hours it will end up working..well it works after driving for awhile during the summer..during the winter it don't work at all. shit's kind of pissing me off..but people think i only have 72,000 miles on my ride

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
might be the sensor on the tranny or the cluster itself. only way to tell is to get it looked at professionally.

·
Registered
881 Posts
My friend has that problem with her Neon. Her problem is it's a piece of shit. She just bangs on the dash when her's quits and it starts again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the answer for you...

I finally pull mine apart this weekend and I have some good news and some bad news. First the good news - it can be fixed. The bad news - it may cost you. Ok here is the real deal - there is a Heads-up display control module mounted to the rear of the instrument cluster. Remove the dash and take out the instrument cluster. On the back, there is a control module in the middle. On this control module there are three relays (internal - not like the others in the car). If you turn on your car with the instrument cluster hanging out the dash and tap on the relays - guess what -the display comes to life intermittently. So I took the relays apart (broke the casing on one of them), cleaned up the contacts and I'm as good as new.

So there you have it. An easier fix is just to get another one from the junk yard - but I don't know of any who have Altimas, especially with Heads-up Display. A new one is about $180 at the dealer (instrument cluster only).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx alot..i'll have to take it apart one of these days and try that. it's to cold right now to take it apart..if i fix it any time soon and it work i'll let you know..thanx again for the info

·
Registered
21 Posts
i got that whole problem fixed for 395 at a nissan dealer. It was about 190 in parts, which was the gauge cluster. Another 200 in labor. What a bitch..but it works now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts