The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duh.... as I was adding a wire through the firewall (for better fog lights.... I can't see well enough at night) I drilled into the wiring harness cutting several wires. I carefully soldered them back together. Unfortunately my speedometer and tire pressure sensor do not work. It set a speed sensor code which I cannot get to reset and fear I have damaged a computer among other things.

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion for the speed sensor or which computer I might change out?
(The dealer wants the complete wiring harness changed before they will touch it ($2600).

And yes, I feel like an idiot already... don't need help knowing how dumb this was.

THANKS!!!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,730 Posts
Have you checked all your fuses? by all I mean the internal fusebox, the ipdm box in the engine, and the mini fuse box on the +ve battery cable? (I think the Gen5's have this too)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dOugmac... I have checked the Under hood and under dash fuses but only two places... I’ll look for another.

·
6,730 Posts
What year is your car...I'll have a look and see if there is commonality in the power chain between those two devices.

·
6,730 Posts
Ok, the speedo is driven by ABS wheel sensors, via ABS control unit, via the CAN bus to the meter. The TPMS info is passed from the TPMS pickup unit to the BCM then via CAN bus to the meter/display. If the tach is working, but not the speedo...then it's a wiring fault/computer fault.

I had a look at the CAN wiring to see if you'd maybe nicked a stub connection, but the BCM and ABS are about as far apart connection wise as they can be...all sorts of other stuff would be broken if it was dead. Here are the signals that come across CAN...if more than one is working, then it's something else:

• Speedometer • Tachometer • Engine coolant temperature gauge • Fuel gauge • Warning lamps • Indicator lamps • Meter illumination control • Meter effect function • Information display

Attachments

·
6,730 Posts
My car is a 2016 with the 4 cylinder and cv transmission. Thanks
I assume the battery was still connected while you were drilling?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts