The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought splash guards and was wondering about the instructions. They say 2mm and 6mm holes need to be drilled. Does anyone know where to get mm drill bits? I want to do this right. Also do you think it's a good idea to use a silicone sealant on the screws so no water gets behind them?

·
Registered
374 Posts
S1DIMMER said:
I bought splash guards and was wondering about the instructions. They say 2mm and 6mm holes need to be drilled. Does anyone know where to get mm drill bits? I want to do this right. Also do you think it's a good idea to use a silicone sealant on the screws so no water gets behind them?
You'll probably find mm bits at an auto parts store. In my town the hardware store has wire-size bits (#5,#6,#7,etc.) but also a chart showing the mm and fractional sizes of those. You should be able to get darned close with the right wire bit. Might help. Yes, I think it would be a good idea (wouldn't hurt) to silicon seal the install.

OpalBlue

·
Registered
50 Posts
just ordered mine

Hey dimmer,

I just ordered my splash guards and was wondering if you have had any problem with the install other than the hole size. How much time did it take you/ how easy?

G

·
They are easy to install. Instructions are simple to follow, the biggest problem I had was going to home depot to get the screws and clips that Nissan neglected to put with the kit.

They tell you to pull the wheel off but you don't have to do that for the rear. I just got a felt tip pen and marked where the two holes went and took a small drill and did pilot holes. Slid the clips on and screwed away. Make sure that the splash guard is pushed up flush on the bottom of the rear bumper before you mark the holes.

Front ones are a easy, the holes are already there. Just turn the wheels so you can access the screws. I have one of those 90deg angle screw drivers, makes the job go very fast

Entire job including going to home depot took about 2 hours (lost 1 hour at home depot)

·
Proud '02 owner
3,972 Posts
Slash guards

It was very easy. Don't get picky with the drill bit just find one that is a little smaller than the screw. I think I used 1/8th inch. I just screwed the bottom screw in without drilling, it's just plastic. The hardest part was doing the back without taking off the wheels. Overall it just took about 15min.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I didn't take the rear wheel off either. Just jack the rear of the car up and the rear wheel will drop enough to get a drill in there at an angle.(Pull the rear fender out with your hand as you drill the hole) The size of the holes you have to drill for the rear is not critical. The screw is just going through that hole and into a metal clip that is supplied in the kit.

You don't have to silicone anything it is just plastic you are going into and water can get everywhere already.

William

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry prdr, didn't do the install yet. I live in an apartment with no driveway to work in. Plus it's a little cold to be sitting on the ground drilling. I want to wash the area too, all the hoses are frozen around here. Will get to it soon. Thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.