The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got the sportlines installed. I love the way the car looks now. Also the car handles much better.

But theres one thing that is driving me crazy:

Going over small bumps and such, the car makes a very disturbing clunk. Feels like I drove into a curb. Feels like Im driving with no springs at all. Or that my tires are made of stone or something.

Hopefully one day new shocks will help with this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome to the scratch and scrape club. I have Pro-Kits and I also scrape the bottom of my front bumper once in a while.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are you sure the sportlines were installed correctly? I've heard horror stories of shops installing springs upside down and basically not knowing what they're doing. My car didn't scrape going up driveways and speed bumps even before I removed the resonator.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
VirtualOutlook said:
I recently got the sportlines installed. I love the way the car looks now. Also the car handles much better.

But theres one thing that is driving me crazy:

Going over small bumps and such, the car makes a very disturbing clunk. Feels like I drove into a curb. Feels like Im driving with no springs at all. Or that my tires are made of stone or something.

Hopefully one day new shocks will help with this.
You shouldn't hear any clunking noise with Sportlines or Pro Kit if they are installed properly. I agree with Caliboy, maybe they installed the springs upside down!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Like he said with a much stiffer suspension like the Sportlines (especially with low profile tires) you have to take it easy on those bumps. I have 19" rims on 235-35-19 Toyos and I can feel every little rock on the road, but thats the trade off for great looks and handling.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The springs are installed ok. Maybe it was potholes I was going over. I am still getting used to this new ride. I did manage to bottom out on a nice size speed bump. I forgot my car was lowered. Damn

·
"More bounce"
589 Posts
aren't the front springs pig tailed, to check just jack up the car and see where the pig tail is that would tell you if they are upside down or not. Question though which side should the pig tail be on the top or bottom? I need to check this out to I get the thud every now and again too and I just have a prokit, on 20's

·
BOSRI NAH CHOD!
641 Posts
shiiet im happy i got hte sportlines..i need the cleaner drop.. just gotta be careful over hte bumps..

·
1,244 Posts
got the car back from the dealer. they can't figure it out. although, i told them that when i installed that particular spring, i accedentally left about a 1cm gap at the bottom end of the srping (i.e., between the coil end/"pigtail" and the rubber seat). maybe the fact that it hasn;t perfectly seated allows it to pop/klunk in and out. kinda makes sense since it only happend when i turn... which might cause a torque load on the spring and twist it into and out of posnition????? i'll have to take it apart and find out!!!!!:angry4:

·
Kingpin
646 Posts
I had the same problem back when I first installed mine. Fixed the clunk noise after reinstalling the spring and strut. The problem was the metal plate on the strut inside the fender well was installed with the outer portion was installed pointing toward the center of the car. This plate is engraved with "out" on top and should face the out of the car, if not then you'll have the "clunk", "popping", or "grinding" noise. And this noise only comes when a direct load or when direct pressure is applied to that side. Just my .02. This might or might not be your problem but it sure fixed my "clunking noise". Hope it works out.

·
sHIFT_3.5SeR YAA!!
719 Posts
turrifik said:
i just installed sportlines this weekend and have the same problem when i turn left. it's a loud clunk from the front right susp when i turn left only? any ideas?
check your strut .. had the same thing happen, turned out it was the strut that went kaput!:( fortunately warranty covered it, and all was happy in the land of Alty.:D

·
1,244 Posts
this is exactly what the problem was. found out when we took it apart & reassembled it yesterday. noise is gone but i needed to get another alignment :angry4:

funny how nissan couldn't figure it out after spendign the whole day w/ the car????

02SilverSE said:
I had the same problem back when I first installed mine. Fixed the clunk noise after reinstalling the spring and strut. The problem was the metal plate on the strut inside the fender well was installed with the outer portion was installed pointing toward the center of the car. This plate is engraved with "out" on top and should face the out of the car, if not then you'll have the "clunk", "popping", or "grinding" noise. And this noise only comes when a direct load or when direct pressure is applied to that side. Just my .02. This might or might not be your problem but it sure fixed my "clunking noise". Hope it works out.

·
Kingpin
646 Posts
I'm glad to hear it's fixed!

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
I have Sprint Springs alot like Sportlines, they do ride stiffer and louder I expected that you here every bumb on the road I try to avoid hitting bumbs fast its loud , but I like the look and the handling I think alot of are hard hits are because are struts are bottoming out not much down ward travel left.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Turrifik and 02SilverSE --- So do I only have to get a mechanic to turn those plates out on the front two tires?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts