The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
DRUNKEN WIKI TERRORIST
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone read about the sts. it s a post cat turbo system. idk if anyone can explain this concept to me or explain if it is even applicable on the altima

·
1,484 Posts
Yeah I've read about it. You mount the turbo where your muffler would be at. Actually the ones I've seen they don't even use a muffler at that point. You then run the charge piping all the way back to the front of the vehicle. You don't have to run an intercooler because the piping length will cool the air down enough before it is put back into the engine. However, you do have to get a pump to pump the return oil back to the front of the vehicle. From what I've read it seems like it works pretty well, but you have to sqeeze more boost out of the turbo, because of the large piping length to fill. Which means you'll probably want to run a big turbo so it stays effecient.

·
Registered
74 Posts
they make them for my camaro and they seem to be really efficient b/c with the high exhuast velocity you dont notice much boost lag and they run alot cooler and keep alot of plumbing outta the engine compartment which could be a good thing for cramped engine bays. but this is on a v8 ls1... on a altima i have no idea.

·
1,484 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be near as expensive as that. All you would need to do is well the turbo flange in place of the muffler. Bolt up the turbo from there. Run the short few feet of downpipe out the rear. Run the piping all the way back to the MAF and into the throttle body. You don't have an intercooler, or a turbo manifold. But you would need a good distance of oil line. And another pump to pull the oil back towards the engine. I would think this would be much cheaper, and easily done around 1500 bucks.

·
Hispanic Causin Panic
1,747 Posts
skylineawd said:
I wouldn't think it would be near as expensive as that. All you would need to do is well the turbo flange in place of the muffler. Bolt up the turbo from there. Run the short few feet of downpipe out the rear. Run the piping all the way back to the MAF and into the throttle body. You don't have an intercooler, or a turbo manifold. But you would need a good distance of oil line. And another pump to pull the oil back towards the engine. I would think this would be much cheaper, and easily done around 1500 bucks.
yeah thats what i thought , but i think a member on here called them and asked them the deal. for them to fabricate the parts specifically for the 02-05 3.5 alty's and all the rest of the stuff it was high . maybe its 3,500 with all fuel management equipment it came out to 5 grand. i think that was also tuning and dyno time included .

·
1,484 Posts
According to what I've read, the turbo does supress a lot of the sound. And you don't need a different manifold because the turbo isn't bolted to it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
well people on ls2.com have been making their own "sts" turbo with homemade piping etc. for under about 1500 so i guess for a altima it would be about the same minus the problem with fuel managment =[ but the turbo sounds more like a aftermarket exhaust on the camaros then a turbocharger i mean a hint of turbo boost and all but not so much.

·
hard on equipment
2,104 Posts
It seems to me that the extra lengths of piping involved as well as the need for an oil return pump would make it a pretty inefficient system. Not to mention you're exposing your turbocharger to a lot of potentially unfavorable conditions.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts