The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are serious , heres the Trans. you need to do the swap , this is a quote off the SR20Nationa Board , from one of the most Respected SR Tuners !!!

"To do this job you need to get a Bluebird gear box which is slightly larger and comes hydralic. The Bluebird axles are also needed and are very important to get. Once you get these items listed above you are ready to go. Plaease get traany and axles from same car. Make sure the car is 93-97 BB FWD SR20DE.

The items listed above from a BB FWD SR20DE NA will alow any SR20DET to fit. I am sure I could get most of the engine mounts."

Andreas Miko

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
You should think about building and selling Shawn;)

I feel my tranny going.......

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea , I never have any luck selling , Dang , I just realized I posted this in the wrong place !! Arg ... Hey Mods, put this in The turbo Forum ...Sorry !!

·
what is in a name?
2,731 Posts
what the forums addy?

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
I don't mean to take fame away from you shawn, and no disrespect, but I think I kinda beat you to this information. :wall: :D

AltyPrince said:
I agree somewhat with poiston fist. I did mad research last night on this subject and came to this conclusion about the tranny:

The first gen altima comes from the chassis family U13, as does the Bluebird SSS. So I would think that the engine should drop right in. But then we fall into the tranny problems. Which tranny would work? The Bluebird SSS specific chassis code is HNU13. Whereas the altima is PU13. But looking further into the bluebird family, you see that there is an SR20DE front wheel drive Bluebird with the same U13 chassis family. Specific chassis code for that bluebird would be HU13. My guess is that they used the SR20DET from the HNU13 chassis Bluebird SSS and the HU13 chassis Bluebird's tranny. That's probably the most cost effective way for it to work.

I did all my research from FreshAlloy:

http://www.freshalloy.com/cars/nissan/super_matrix.html
I wrote that in the thread where they had pics of the swap done. Last post on page 12:

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63391&perpage=15&pagenumber=12

·
Registered
7 Posts
SR swap.

Here is some information about the SR swap: Make sure your car is a 5 speed!!! You will need
the rear housing from the KA tranny, it will allow you to bolt on the engine and tranny in the car without
doing any fabrication.
The transmission can be found in the late style SR20de or the SR 1.6 VVL engine. Price for
the tranny is around 500.00
You must use the KA axles, which will fit the SR tranny. Don't bother to try the JDM units.
We recommend to use the JDM ecu with maf, those will fit the KA harness, you will need to replace the
plugs for the AAC FDIC, their are different on the SR.
If the ECU and maf are missing just send the KA ecu to JWT .
Just tell JWT that you are running a SR20det engine with the USDM
maf, they have the program already.

marco vargas

http://www.sr20store.com

·
SR20DET CREW MEMBER # 1
503 Posts
Re: SR swap.

mvargas said:
Here is some information about the SR swap: Make sure your car is a 5 speed!!! You will need
the rear housing from the KA tranny, it will allow you to bolt on the engine and tranny in the car without
doing any fabrication.
The transmission can be found in the late style SR20de or the SR 1.6 VVL engine. Price for
the tranny is around 500.00
You must use the KA axles, which will fit the SR tranny. Don't bother to try the JDM units.
We recommend to use the JDM ecu with maf, those will fit the KA harness, you will need to replace the
plugs for the AAC FDIC, their are different on the SR.
If the ECU and maf are missing just send the KA ecu to JWT .
Just tell JWT that you are running a SR20det engine with the USDM
maf, they have the program already.

marco vargas

http://www.sr20store.com

I would listen to MVARGAS. He was the guy that supplied what I needed to complete the SR swap

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
Samir said:
Hmmm...

After reading this, I wonder if the following is possible.

Get a front clip of a sr20de powered Bluebird and then just turbo it. Voila, instant sr20det without all the custom fabrication. Whatcha think?
You'd wind up paying more. 5 grand for the swap, another 5 grand for the turbo.

·
1st Gen SE Lover
2,520 Posts
I thought a FWD sr20de clip might be easier than the custom fabbing for the sr20det. This way, you can use the axles, tranny and everything from the sr20de. Then you just have to turbo it.

I don't have any background in this, but I would think that this would be a cheaper route than having to custom fab all this stuff and find pieces that fit together. Even if it is more expensive, would it not be less buggy and more reliable?

With the sr20det swap, you only have the stock sr20det power (unless modding while installing). With this clip idea, you could do it in stages with just sr20de power at first and then turbo it.

Opinions? Go easy, I'm learning here. :D

·
team FSP drifting
1,693 Posts
agreed that it's not such a good idea...

with your logic of parts usage, why couldn't you just use the tranny, axels, and everything anyway from a fwd sr20de and just couple it with an sr20det?...as they are the same engine...all the parts will bolt right up...but in being the SAME engine...just one non turbo...you still have ALL the same problems of fitment...other then that the tranny, and engine mounting is made for a FWD car...but you can use an AWD engine and FWD tranny coupled together as long as they are both of the SR class motor...this will achieve the same effect and get you a DET motor at the same time...

either way you are thinking though you still have the custom mounting problems...which actually arn't that big of a problem...with the new tranny info found...

unless you are thinking of just welding the front clip in place...everything intact...no custom mounting needed...but i have NO clue how this would work...

as for your idea of power in stages...it'll take more $$ in the long run...and it wont result in any more HP...just use the DET...slap a front mount, boost controller, and fuel cut defenser and you'll be sittin pretty...

this is all of course simplified and some may even be wrong...but i hope you get the idea...:)

·
1st Gen SE Lover
2,520 Posts
I think I didn't get my idea across that well. :(

My idea was to weld the clip into place instead of doing any custom mounts. That way, there would be no mounting issues. Use a FWD sr20de clip from a bluebird. You can use the sr20de tranny, axles, and everything else. But the problem with converting right-hand to left hand would be there. :(

If the clip idea would work and be cost effective, then taking out the sr20de and using the sr20det instead would be a really simple swap. Front clip from FWD sr20de, tranny, axles, mounts, and sr20det engine instead. Poof, instant sr20det powered Altima?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts