The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
R P R
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to swap Engines with a sr20 , has anyone done this before or have knowledge on doing something like this????? If so what are some key things that I should know or look out for??

·
founding father
1,709 Posts
no one has done it yet. and unless you are talking about the de-t its not worth it with the regular de

·
hard on equipment
714 Posts
You should know that:
1) No one's ever done it, at least not that we've heard of
2) It's going to be expensive
3) You have to find an AWD or FWD mounted SR20
4) It's going to be expensive
5) You have to figure out how you're going to mount a transmission, since most AWD SR20's are right-side drive
6) It's going to be expensive.

·
hard on equipment
714 Posts
Did I mention it's going to be expensive?....haha..
I don't wanna turn you off from it, but most of us around here are sick of hearing "SR20 swap" twice a day and never seeing any results. If you should decide to undertake the mission of building an SR20 powered Altima, best of luck.

·
R P R
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why is that , doesn't it come with 190hp stock ??with out bolt ons . I'm trying to get more HP Iwas thinking swapping the engine was the best why ,what do you recommend????

·
hard on equipment
714 Posts
Take the $6 grand it would cost to do the SR20 engine swap, and instead get forged pistons and connecting rods made to strengthen the internals and lower compression, and build a custom turbo kit. Go with about 15lbs of boost, and you'll be running WELL over 250 hp at the crank. It won't cost you nearly $6 grand, if you save money on the parts as much as possible, and even less if you can do some of the work yourself.
That, or spend $1500 (is that right?) to get the Jim Wolf nitrous kit (ecu and 300ZX fuel injectors included) and you can run 100hp shots of nitrous.
There are other ways, these are just the most power in one fell swoop. An all-motor Altima that breaks 14's is going to be nigh on impossible to build, unless you just have ungodly amounts of money, and then why would you be building an Altima?

·
Banned
2,285 Posts
ok tell you what, IF you were going to do a swa what were you going to spend, $5000 you would think?? for five G's bolt on galore to the altima. There i a number of things you can do fr that kind of money without going for the swap b/c lets face it, youll never ever ever get it done. Ever. EVER. Tu Comprendes?

Start with the basics i/h/e. Then get a UR pulley, torque converter if your auto, clutch if your stick, upgraded ignition, computer chip, lighten your flywheel, shit, port & polish your cylinders. That gives you some horsies.

Just be tangible; if your not a rich kid then its not feasible. Oh, forget a turbo too b/c it takes a lot of dedication and money. Im not discrediting you , but it seldom happens. No supercharger, no altezzas. Thats the altima in a nutshell.

·
R P R
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK OK Mannn !!! I'll try other ways to get some hp...lol Has anyone made there own turbo kit?? ( Godzildo ) I appreciate all the replies & suggestions keep 'em coming....

·
Registered
3 Posts
with all that stuff, i/e/h , ur pulley, clutch, upgrade ignition, chip, legthen flywheel, pot and polish cylinders, how much horses and how much $? b/c i am looking for more horsepower but i only have 2grand

·
boosted
397 Posts
If you're lucky you can find an entire font clip from a bluebird, engine included. It should bolt right in with a FWD sentra trans. I once saw a front clip on ebay with the sr20det, a top mount intercooler, and all of the sheetmetal was intact. They're kinda rare though.

·
hard on equipment
714 Posts
First of all, where could you get a Corvette for $6 G's? Second, there are at least 2 guys who have custom turbo kits, UltimaSE and TunerGuy, but they're rarely on the boards. If you're serious about the turbo, though, read the article here. I'm sure anything we can contribute we will. The most important things are doing your research, being dedicated, and having patience. Don't expect to install a turbo system in 3 hours, and don't expect it to bolt straight on.
I'd love to see you do a custom turbo, I'm sure all of us would. But by all means, don't get in over your head.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts