The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before I describe my problem, keep in mind that I had to have a new motor installed last month because I sucked up water through my aftermarket Injen intake, causing hydrolock.

I got my car back last week, with the Injen intake on the new motor. The car ran great, throttle response was good, idled well, yet would mysteriously just die for no reason. I took it back to the shop, they said the motor may be having airflow issues with the Injen, so he took it off and put the stock one back on. I drove the car for a day or two with no problems, but then all of a sudden it died again at a light. The odd thing is, I can't reproduce it, and the car starts up on the dime after it dies. It only seems to happen at idle or low RPM's but I can't figure out why this is happening, and neither can my mechanic.

Any ideas? Does something need to be reset? There really is no rhyme or reason as to why it does it, because conditions don't change from one light to the next. It's like it has a mind of its own.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The intake would in no way cause your engine to sporatically stall like that. I would have the MAF checked to see if it's giving the correct signal or if there are any loose connections within that area.

I think you're the only 3.5 member to ever get hydrolock, that's extremely hard to do. Your whole front left side of your car would have to be submerged before it would do what you described happened.

Oi vey, did you try to cross a river? Funny thing is after you forked over all of that cash to replace / rebuild the engine you put the Injen right back on....

:bonk:

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
If there are no codes, the ecu must believe you are turning it off with the key. I would look for any ignition on connections anywhere in the engine compartment harness and inspect them. If you don't find anything, you may need to locate the ECU input for ignition on, and wire an indicator lamp/LED to it. If it goes off when the engine turns off you found your problem. Then trace your indicator tap location back until you find the intermittent open. Anything else like a crank sensor or MAF should set a code.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Check your throttle position sensor. Sounds like the throttle is a little too closed to pick up cleanly. And idle speed setting. I suppose you have checked idle speed tho'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts