The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize as I don't know all the terminology of parts here. I have attached a photo.

Basically, I was trying to loosen that single bolt that holds the rear shock to the boot/mount. It did not want to budge..so I used some penetration grease and let it sit overnight. However....same result...it didn't want to budge. I ended up using a blowtorch and my impact gun. I finally saw it start to spin and after I realized it wasn't going to come out I realized it almost seemed frozen to the barrel on the inside of the boot/mount (it's a metal cylinder that has rubber around it). That was spinning as the bolt/nut was spinning.

Is my best route here...to just get a saw and cut up through that bolt and also that metal cylinder so I can at least free it all, and just buy a new gromet (that inside part) and a bolt?

The other side feels frozen too so I am letting the grease do some more work on it.

Thanks

Attachments

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
I believe you are looking at the rear left knuckle (which is the casting that the wheel hub bolts to). You won't be able to buy just that bushing...or if you can, you're gonna hate yourself for not just buying a whole new knuckle assembly...

·
7,040 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe you are looking at the rear left knuckle (which is the casting that the wheel hub bolts to). You won't be able to buy just that bushing...or if you can, you're gonna hate yourself for not just buying a whole new knuckle assembly...

This thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Bushing-Rear-Suspension-551A0-9Y00A/dp/B00CUEF9XC

·
7,040 Posts
Yep, but you have to remove the entire knuckle, take it to a machine shop, push out, push in, reinstall. This is often an issue if you only have one car :) You're probably looking at $75+ for parts and labour and $150 to just put an all new knuckle in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, but you have to remove the entire knuckle, take it to a machine shop, push out, push in, reinstall. This is often an issue if you only have one car :) You're probably looking at $75+ for parts and labour and $150 to just put an all new knuckle in.
Looking it up...the Nissan diagrams regarding the "knuckle" aren't exactly clear...what it appears to me is the entire lower control arm must get removed (the knuckle part appears a part of it).. That part alone is like $200 plus disconnecting it appears like one hell of a job.

So if you can describe for me specifically what you think is the $75 in parts I'd appreciate it.

That said...I'm likely gonna have to saw thru the lower "U" of the shock so I can remove it, then get the bolt + bushing removed (not sure if I can separate them or not). I was goign to follow this method for getting the new bushing in .

https://www.suspension.com/blog/how-to-install-a-bushing-without-a-press/

I've already bought 2 new Nissan OEM bushings plus 2 new bolts. I've given the other side of the car more time with penetrating grease...so hoping that side I can get the bolt off without it freezing to the bushing...but wanted to buy the 2nd pair just in case.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I made a mistake.

Not the control arm...but there is this part: https://nissanparts.penceauto.com/p/Nissan_2008_Altima-S-Sedan-25L-CVT/Knuckle-Suspension-Knuckle--Rear-Left/48771608/43019JA000.html

I assume that is what you were referring to. I don't know what is involved yet in removing it. I also have a light fear of other freezing bolts.

·
7,040 Posts
The $75 was just the bushing and someone's time to remove the old and press in the new. Removing the knuckle will be work...but nothing a torch, an impact wrench and maybe an extra bottle jack shouldn't get you through.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The $75 was just the bushing and someone's time to remove the old and press in the new. Removing the knuckle will be work...but nothing a torch, an impact wrench and maybe an extra bottle jack shouldn't get you through.
So I rented a press kit from a local auto store, and attempted to do this myself. Very similar to the guy in this video:

However I was not having that kind of luck...and at this point I am almost convinced my bushing (outer, as I did get the center of it removed..similar to the guy in that video) is damn near frozen to the inside of the knuckle.

I don't even know if removing the knuckle and taking it to a place will work...as opposed to buying a new knuckle for $150.

I tried it with the small nub (in the press kit) at first...and was making small progress but it almost appeared to be digging into the knuckles housing a bit. Then I tried adding in a 22mm socket...and even a 24mm socket trying to get it right on the edges of the outer bushing....and it was hard to get it flush where it wasn't going to try entering at even 5 degrees off. You can see the pics.

So I will ask you based on the pics....if you think it is still salvageable...or just go the new knuckle route. I suspect my passenger rear side will ultimately have the same result as this driver rear side...i.e; frozen bolt, stuck bushing, etc....

So I'd be looking at twice the cost to have both pressed out.

My blow torch kept puttering out.... (it was a $20 one, and I suspect the end piece is having an oxygen issue) but my goal was to heat the knuckle end up as best I could.

I could technically try to take the knuckles off...and then use the press kit I rented and just put some heat and arm strength into it till they pop out...and then and only then if they are dead in the water do I replace them.

Attachments

·
7,040 Posts
Could you use a long Grade 8 fine pitch bolt, nut, several stacked washers and an oversize socket to use your new bushing to push the old one out by pulling it through from one side. The stackup would be something like:

nut--washer stack (3?)--new bushing butted up against old bushing--oversize socket--washer stack--bolt head

Oversize socket must be large enough to receive old bushing, yet still have good contact with the surrounding knuckle. You will want heat and penetrating oil in abundance if you do this.

·
7,040 Posts
The advantage of the above is you can continue to apply considerable heat, oil, mechanical hits etc. to the knuckle portion while the system (bolt + 2 bushings) is in static tension without fear of stuff flying off. Breaker bars encouraged. If you break the bolt...you should probably go get a new knuckle before you bust your own knuckles mucking about with it further.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't want to muck with this any further with such limited space.

I need to find out how to remove the knuckle...also need to find out if I can do this without taking off the brake line (and bleeding it). If I can remove it...then my local shop said they could press the old one out and put the new one in for like $20 each.

I consider that a win, "IF" the old one wants to come out...and if I don't encounter any other issues trying to get the knuckle out.

Not really any youtube videos on it that I could find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts