The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 99 Nissan Sentra GXE LE and it's been having starting issues lately. The battery connectors were pretty corroded so replaced those and swapped out the aging battery just to be sure. That seemed to work for a couple days but now seems I'm right back where are started. Basically I can turn rapidly 3 to 5 times and it will turn over but just holding it won't usually work at least not right away. The starter in it is maybe 2 years old and the car has 160k on it.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
What happens if you just 'hold it'? Sounds likek you may have a bad engine ground which is overheating and blocking the flow of current to the starter which is needed to keep it turning. See 'Bad Ground' in my .sig below...do the jumper cable trick and let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If I just hold it nothing happens usually. If I try it maybe 10 times holding it might start but if I turn the key quickly 3 to 5 times in a row I can get it going. When just holding it I can hear either a buzzing or maybe a whirling sound from the fuel pump. Should also mention in escaping a bad storm a couple months back the water got high enough to take out my windshield washer pump which I have a replacement for now but haven't messed with since I'm on the motorcycle most of the time until it gets below freezing.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Then I would review in order:

- ground connection from battery->chassis->engine blok
- battery connection on starter motor
- solenoid control connection on starter motor

Start with the bad ground 'temp hack' as outlined in my Bad Ground post. If you notice improvement..fix the engine to body grounding. If no improvement, try jumper the starter battery connection (big fat wire) directly to the battery positive with a jumper cable--be careful not to short anything out. If no improvement, perhaps either the solenoid and/or starter motor got water in it, and has corrosion issues. Remove starter, remove solenoid from starter and inspect for corrosion/rust/carbon. Replace as needed.

There is a very small chance that it's actually your ignition switch...but far more likely something in the power loop for the starter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts