The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I absolutely love my altima. The only single complaint I have about it though is the horrible steering radius it has. This thing steers like a friggin semi in parking lots. Are there any mods I can do to improve my cars performance in this category?? THanks!

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
what?????? Is your alty stock? Cuz when mine was stock it had a great turning radius. Now that I have springs and an RSB, it took away from my turning radius cuz nothing gives. That's odd that yours (if stock) has a crappy turning radius

·
hello
3,517 Posts
yea i have a very horrible turning radius too...i hear ya man. it sucks! when i try to park it in a semi tight space in a lot, it always takes me 2 tries, but in my old sh!tbox, i could do it in one easily.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I've heard alot of people complain about the turning radius in the G3 Altimas...I for one still have no idea what the problem is...mine turns very sharply.

I wonder if at some point Nissan installed or removed some steering rack stops and maybe mine does not have them installed? When you turn your wheel all the way from left to right how many full revolutions do you get and what position does the wheel start and end?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think it all depends on what car you had before and what you are used to. i had a celica before and the turning radius was awesome. it's wider in the altima but i'm getting used to it but it's also a longer car.

·
I Need A Job
203 Posts
Before my Altima for the most part I dorve a 4 door crew cab GMC diesil truck LWB too. :D So I had a very very large turning radius. But i also drove a jeep wrangler and that had a great turning radius.

·
Dazed and confused
289 Posts
Well it could be the tires/rims to. Cuz my buddies 2.5 has no problem getting out of the parking space but I need to pull one of those 3 pt turns just to make it out!

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
from this thread, i am beginning to think that the turning radius problem is only on the 3.5's? is this true? if it is true, it would make sense considering the added weight to the front end.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well my altima is stock yes, I haven't had any mods or anything put into it. TweekersAltima: according to your post, I get that if you install new springs and an RSB (?) your steering radius is even worse?? am I correct in assuming this?

ALso, yes it may just be all relative. before this car I drove a '93 Nissan Sentra which had an awesome turning radius...compared to this Sentra, my Altima feels like a truck!

Also, if there are mods that one can do which will worsen the turning radius, are there mods you can do which will help this?

edit: Tdoyle, I'll check on those questions when I have time to go out and do it! Its pouring rain in LA right now, pretty odd :)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
My other car is a 2k Celica which has a turning circle of 36.1 feet and the 02 2.5s has a circle of 37.4 feet (source Edmunds.com). I don't even notice a difference between the two as far as turning radius goes. I do note though that the 3.5 has a listed circle of 38.7 feet so it seems there is definitely something at work in the front end of the 3.5's. Perhaps Nissan is trying to protect the wider tires or something?

·
Mr. Super Stock
304 Posts
G2 altima has a smaller turning radius than the G3, but to the increased length of the car. The G2 feels more nimble in the lots, but the G3 is a lot more stable on the road.

I love both.

btw, bigger tires and wheels = bigger turning radius.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I test-drove a Mazda 6 the other day, hit full lock trying to turn around in a widened area of the street. Had to reverse. And btw, the Altima felt much better to me ( both 6 cyl.)

·
Long Time Caller
1,951 Posts
yea it is bad. that was the only complaint i found last year when i was researching this car. bad turning radius and it is. not horrible, but not great either

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
For a car this size the turning radius sux. :mad:
If the 2.5's have a smaller turning radius it must be because the steering stops are adjusted to allow more turn with the smaller factory wheel setup.
If you stuff a larger wider wheel in the same size wheel well and you don't accomodate the added width by adjusting the wheel offset then the steering stops would have to be adjusted out so the tire dosen't contact any part of the frame.

I drive a new Chevy Tahoe for work that can manuever in and out of parking spots better than my Altima.

·
Registered
153 Posts
the turning radius is terrible, feels like I am driving a bus when i try to park. I almost always have to pull in and out 2 or 3 times to straighten my self out. also, I can't pull a U-turn on a two lane road! I never make it and have to stop in the middle of the street and back up again.

·
Mature Member
1,874 Posts
jstefdog said:
I can't pull a U-turn on a two lane road! I never make it and have to stop in the middle of the street and back up again.
Maybe I'm naive, but I think this car SHOULD be able to pull this off, forget comparisons.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts