The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fat Pact Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my steering has been going out for awhile now. I think it is the steering knuckle(not sure what to call it). but i can turn the steering wheel from about 9 to3 without it actually turning the car. but to day on the way home from work whenever i started to stop it the whole front end would shake. so has anyone replaced all or part of the steering. I just need to know what i am going to look at in prices. Or should i leave it to a pro who can do it right. any help in what im might be getting it to would be great. it has power steering.

·
Captain Obvious!
874 Posts
Personally, when it comes to steering components (except the power steering pump), i'd personally go see a mechanic.....it is your steering afterall..that's that LAST thing you want going on you when on the freeway

edit: i know this doesn't point to a possible source of the problem, but i guess it answers the DIY part of your post...good luck man

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's either the steering rack or the tie rods. The tie rods are actually a wear item, so they're not terribly expensive. I'm pretty sure the steering rack is very expensive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The steering rack is not all that expensive you can pick up a refurbished one with a core charge for like 200 or 280 something like that from napa. They work fine. I replaced mine about a month ago and yes it was a PITA but it all ended out fine just need patience. Be sure if you do get a new rack to pick up a couple of steering rack insulator bushings cuz youll most likely need them. You can pick them up from nissan for like 7 or 8 dollars each. Trust me replacing the rack makes a world of difference when your talking about bad steering.

·
Fat Pact Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. i barley made it to my brothers house after work. instead of 15 minutes it took 45. i couldnt go over 25 before it would shake. when it happens i looked out the window and my tires would turn about 2" in and out reallly fast without the steering wheel moving. so tonight i am going to tear it apart to find the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts