The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some new projection LED step courtesy lights for Christmas, VERY COOL, except that the driver's side door one only works when the passenger side is opened. The passenger side one works any time it's open, whether or not the driver's side is open. Anybody know what's up with that?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Clearly the driver side door switch is not operating properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that might be it as well, but couldn't understand why it will work when the passenger side is opened. The drivers door switch seems to work fine for the interior lights. Any other thoughts?

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
Sounds like the driver's side door is wired in series after the passenger door (split off from ground). Can you verify how the lights are actually wired?

NOTE: Given what I recall of the wiring, I do not know how it could actually be wired that way, but it's all I have.
Your symptoms suggest;
Fuse->passenger switch->passenger light->a)ground and b)driver's switch-> driver's light-> ground.

There are a couple other incorrect ways it could be wired to create this issue. I guess the first question is; are the two lights wired independently, or are they part of the same wiring harness?

Edit;
Actually, it could also be that BOTH lights are triggered by the passenger switch (parallel after switch), but you don't notice that on the driver's side when the door is closed.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Don't have access to the FSM right now but I am sure the door courtesy lights are controlled by the BCM. The BCM is triggered by the door switched which are inputs and the power to the bulbs are outputs.

You are correct that if the other interior lights are working correctly based on driver door state then the switch must be okay.

One thought is if the door projectors are led instead of incandescent then you may have a polarity issue...with with projector itself our with the wiring from the BCM, as the stock filament bulbs don't care which way the current flows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts