The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post this to hear other people's opinions on the gains claimed by Stillen on the 2002+ Altima 3.5 aftermarket parts.

Intake and Exhaust claimed gains: 27HP
Race pipe and Headers combo claimed gains: 40-50HP

I don't mean to sound pesimistic or anything, but doesn't a 67-77HP gain from these mods seem a little extreme? I got these numbers directly from the Stillen tech hotline and product catalog.

I just feel like Stillen may be exaggerating +/-50% to get sales.
:confused:

·
The advice guy
508 Posts
I was unaware that the stillen headers were even out yet.. :confused:
I wanna see dyno's of a fully stillin'ized 3.5 SE 5spd... If stillen is telling the truth then wahoo...!! thats sooome good powa!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
To TMiN;

They have their head up their a--. You just ain't gonna get a 67-77 horsepower increase from such a small displacement engine as our V6 Altys (214 cubic inches) with just those mods. I mean, it ain't gonna happen. You would have to do some serious internals, like cams, shaving the heads, pistons, porting and polishing.. you get the picture. Unless you stick a blower on it.

Bottom line? Ask Stillen to back up their ridiculous claims with bonafided dyno runs. They won't because they can't. Their products are good, but they must be thinking they're selling them to a bunch of single-digit IQ'd, slack-jawed maggots.

A high-quality intake and catback exhaust system on this car will produce some very decent numbers because the engine, as installed at the factory, is seriously starved for breathing. You will see, hear, and feel improvements and you will like them. But nowhere near 67-77 horsepower. Stillen is telling you something more like 67-77 horsesh-t.

·
THE BYRD MAN DADDY
217 Posts
new header look cool for the 3.5

i just posted the new headers deal and someone said it was a repost....but anywayz i looks real funky...

·
Registered
25 Posts
the stillen headers are listed at $500ish, and they do CLAIM those power outputs, however, i do know however that stillen says these headers ARE NOT STREET LEGAL, so im sure they make serious power for headers, but even 65hp, cmon, we're not 5yr olds here, thats like supercharging numbers rite there, i would say roughly 20hp from these mods, MAAAAAAAAYBE higher, but id say thats a lil giving of an estimate myself, so until i see dyno sheets...........:bullshit: and ill wave it proudly

·
Registered
938 Posts
T Min where have you been hiding, Have not seen too many posts! I have been lucky enough to only use my Altima 1 day per week, so she's protected
from the sand and salt, but it sure hurts having to drive an Intrepid for work! I bet the intake/ exhaust and header will be worth 25-30 hp at the wheels so add another 10 for the crank h.p.

·
Registered
953 Posts
27HP with just the intake? A WAI at that? Thats Bull****! I have a CAI so I must be runnin 35HP gain. 27HP with stillen intake!?! Come on get real!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Waaaaay overstated..................

·
aim: Nism025
1,680 Posts
there is no possible way some bolt-ons can give you that much horsepower. i love stillen parts and all but that is just too much!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Here's what they might be doing.

Intake and exhaust = 27 HP gained.
Race pipe and exhaust = 40-50 HP gained.

First off, these claims are way off the mark. But there is something more insidious. They are ADDING the two grouped items together and claiming a total gain of the gross added results! This NEVER works.

Let's say more realistically, you install a high-quality intake system, such as one of the items frequently discussed on this site. You could probably expect to see an increase of 11-14.. maybe 15 horsepower on the outside.

Or you decide to install a high-quality catback exhaust and headers for a realistic gain of 20-25 horsepower.

If you do both of these things, you are NOT going to see an increase which equates to the sum of these numbers.. like as much as 39-40 horsepower. You might see somewhere in the neighborhood of 30+ perhaps if you're lucky.

·
1,873 Posts
pvick said:
Here's what they might be doing.

Intake and exhaust = 27 HP gained.
Race pipe and exhaust = 40-50 HP gained.

First off, these claims are way off the mark. But there is something more insidious. They are ADDING the two grouped items together and claiming a total gain of the gross added results! This NEVER works.

Let's say more realistically, you install a high-quality intake system, such as one of the items frequently discussed on this site. You could probably expect to see an increase of 11-14.. maybe 15 horsepower on the outside.

Or you decide to install a high-quality catback exhaust and headers for a realistic gain of 20-25 horsepower.

If you do both of these things, you are NOT going to see an increase which equates to the sum of these numbers.. like as much as 39-40 horsepower. You might see somewhere in the neighborhood of 30+ perhaps if you're lucky.
That is true!!
None of these mods will be additive......................maybe RootSumSquare! ;)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Dallas said:
T Min where have you been hiding, Have not seen too many posts! I have been lucky enough to only use my Altima 1 day per week, so she's protected
from the sand and salt, but it sure hurts having to drive an Intrepid for work! I bet the intake/ exhaust and header will be worth 25-30 hp at the wheels so add another 10 for the crank h.p.

Dallas if your talkin about the crank pulley adding 10HP its acutally 6.2 or so. got it off Nissan Perormance Mag.com.:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Dallas, I've just been working lots, that's all. :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Dallas,
Oh ok then...sorry didnt mean anything by it!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ice man no need to be sorry, I know what you meant. I like the color scheme on your car with the blue intake and pulley, looks great. Have you installed the pulley and if so how do you like it !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts