The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which y-pipe is better as far as 1/4 mile performance and horsepower gains. The Stillen one costs more but has slightly larger piping 60mm or 2.3 inches. The Custom Enterprise one has 2.25 inch piping. Also, I know people are going to tell me to just get the SS Autochrome Headers, but I live in SoCal, and there is no way in hell i could pass a smog test with those or ne other headers for that matter. Plus installation on headers is a lot more time consuming and more expensive than the y-pipe installation (y-pipe can also be taken on and off for smog test purposes at a lot lower cost than headers). Please give me some input on which y-pipe is a better performer and which one sounds better. By the way I have a Greddy Evo exhaust system with 60-70mm piping would I need a resonator with the y pipe?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Get the headers! I live in Central Cali and sometime this week or next, I will be having a custom Cat installed. It will be a Magnaflow Cat with 2 O2 bungs welded on. It will be replacing the one that came with the headers.

I'll post some clips and pics once it is done. It should reallycut down on the droning I currently have.

My 2 cents, hold off and see how mine sounds.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have the CustomAltima race pipe and I absolutely love it. Going on day 3 and the car is def. quicker. I have an auto and when I punch in D gear she gets up and goes way quicker. I say for the cost, you cant go wrong. There is one on ebay for 50 bucks you might wanna check out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
^^^^ It has been said int he past that you do not get as good of a gain from the Stillen as the CA Downpipe. I would go with the CA one. I totally enoy mine. Stillen is just out to "Stillen your money". There name suits them well.

·
Formerly 03alty3.5se87
2,302 Posts
I got the stillen and i think its great. nice sound at high rev and no droning or anything like that i got it off DjSung on this forum for $100 shipped which i think is pretty damn good

·
Hispanic Causin Panic
1,747 Posts
DPGC420 said:
Which y-pipe is better as far as 1/4 mile performance and horsepower gains. The Stillen one costs more but has slightly larger piping 60mm or 2.3 inches. The Custom Enterprise one has 2.25 inch piping. Also, I know people are going to tell me to just get the SS Autochrome Headers, but I live in SoCal, and there is no way in hell i could pass a smog test with those or ne other headers for that matter. Plus installation on headers is a lot more time consuming and more expensive than the y-pipe installation (y-pipe can also be taken on and off for smog test purposes at a lot lower cost than headers). Please give me some input on which y-pipe is a better performer and which one sounds better. By the way I have a Greddy Evo exhaust system with 60-70mm piping would I need a resonator with the y pipe?
Dude , get the headers and install a high flow cat , you will pass the smog test. and you will come out ahead in the long run , with performance , and money saved. just look up some magnaflow catalysts and have it installed where the ss auto race pipe section is. i would have it flanged so you can take it off and put it on whenever you have to go for emissions testing. thats what im doing. it might be a pain to swap aout , but its only once a year in Virginia, and im in tennessee for the time being (no emissions law).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does the Stillen downpipe void the bumper to bumper warranty, and how can you pass emissions when it does away with a cat??

New to board and mods

·
Hispanic Causin Panic
1,747 Posts
opalbluese said:
Does the Stillen downpipe void the bumper to bumper warranty, and how can you pass emissions when it does away with a cat??

New to board and mods
void? now thats a tuff one. the rule of thumb is , if you have a problem with the car , the aftermarket part has to be the direct cause for them to void your warranty. but some dealerships can be ass' and come up with bullsh*t so they dont have to do the repairs.

the the emissions testing?...almost without a doubt you will not past an emissions test if you live in cali. some other states have different levels of emissions testing. like "visual" and "particle" testing. more than likely you will not pass in any state in the "particle" test.

welcome to the boards opal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Guess I'll wait until end of FEB. when my bumper to bumper runs out before considering the downpipe and CAI because I have a list of "TSBs" I need the dealer to fix "hopefully", Thanks for the info.

·
Hispanic Causin Panic
1,747 Posts
opalbluese said:
Guess I'll wait until end of FEB. when my bumper to bumper runs out before considering the downpipe and CAI because I have a list of "TSBs" I need the dealer to fix "hopefully", Thanks for the info.
Sounds like you are in the same boat as i am in . im going to the dealer to run a diagnostic before i install my headers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts