The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, folks! I studied some aerodynamics and in order to have any effect, the wing should be a lot higher than it is on stock altima. This is the same true for stock accord and some other cars. The wind flow from the roof goes in a straigh line, so in the wing should be on it's way, while it is too low, so the flow doesnt hit it.
That's the truth.

What is the drag coeffecient for first gen Altima by the way?

Isn't it around 0,33?

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Joking! Look at the rear race cars, like F1 or Nascar, all of their wings is up in the air...
The only thing that this little wing can provice positive is a little less vacuum drag

·
_________
312 Posts
inoplanetyanin said:
No Joking! Look at the rear race cars, like F1 or Nascar, all of their wings is up in the air...
The only thing that this little wing can provice positive is a little less vacuum drag
No joking! Think before you say(brain is a tool not an accessory)

·
Registered
658 Posts
actually it does do something. wings are there to prevent air from swirling as it goes down the back windshield which reduces lift. since air has to go over the back of the car at a higher spot, air pressure doesnt make such a drastic change. thats why crx's have such low lift. by the time the air drops off, its no where near the car so it doesnt affect it. btw, drag coefficient and lift are no where near being related (maybe slightly).

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
damn i thought the spoiler was there to hold me 3rd brake light..
BUT if poison is right,,the name S P O I L E R would make sense

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
inoplanetyanin said:
The wind flow from the roof goes in a straigh line, so in the wing should be on it's way, while it is too low, so the flow doesnt hit it.
That's the truth.

What is the drag coeffecient for first gen Altima by the way?

Isn't it around 0,33?
u didn't study enough bud. the roof will create a low pressure area behind it. there by drawing some air back into it. sure it is a decoration. who cares. u want a cookie? u think u drive and the roof creates a vacuume behind it :rolleyes: everybody is an expert on the net :rolleyes:

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
the stock rear spoiler is there to smoothen the air flow after the low pressure area created by the rear glass. The bigger the spoiler means the more air drag being created and more aero drag means more power needed to move the car, more fuel used. talk about inefficient..Low pressure area = turbulance area, that's why airplane wings (except concord) are made to offer as big as surface area as possible while not adding too much surface drag, or heat (air drag also creates heat).

The only reason F-1 cars use such a tall wing is to create aero drag, which just so happen also help keep the wheels down at 200+mph, which make me question if you sufficiently studied your topic. An ALTIMA is not and will never be an F-1 car (literally!) If you want an F-1, go out and buy one! Do you even see the size or the rear spoiler on the street version McLaren F-1 GTR? It's puny compared to the rest of the car, and yet it's angled like a bitch to stabilize the rear end while still keeping a smooth, non turbulance area after the rear engine cover.

When a real racer put on a gigantic rear spoiler on his/er car, s/hewould take into consideration how much inefficiency does it worth in order to stabilize the car. If it's a lot, then logically the gigantic rear spoiler will be rid off, and he'll choose the lower power route to stabilize the car. A rear spoiler among other things, also have its weight penalty, even an aluminum or CF one!

whenever there is turbulance, there is zero efficiency.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts