The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, here's the deal. I've got a bone stock 03' Altima 3.5SE 5spd. I've got to get off stock tires. But. I refuse to go invest in rims just to get them stolen. I've checked out tirerack and some of the posts here. I want to stay on the stock 17" wheels. So... Anyone know what size to go to and get a good performance tire, keep the spedo close to factory, and not get rub?? (or tires sticking out of the wheel well.)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Here's what we recommend and so far no complaints from customers: 245/45x17 front and 225/50x17 rears OR 235/50x17 all 4. No detectable change in speedo or odometer. The 245/225 combo is exceptionally good at handling improvement but some get nervous about different sizes front and rear - in sprite of Porsche, Corvette and others doing it. It works well on my car and 2 customers on & off track. The trick is keeping diameters the same. Brands: BFG, Michelin, Sumitomo, Falken and Yokohama have all worked well. I personally prefer Michelin Sport Cups on track and Falken Azenis
front/Michelin P/S2's rear in summer and BFG KDW in winter.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I did the same, bought nice tires to put on my stock wheels. Ran 245/45 yokohama avs es100 for a good 4 months before I bought my 18s. The difference between those tires and stock is enormous... I just took the stock 17s off for 18s this week and can am lookin to sell them if you are intersted...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Kumho Ecsta KH-11 235/50/17V that are ~$100 a pop are a very popular choice as well with aftermarket rubber for our stock 3.5SE 17" OE rims.

You can search and get an enormous amount of information on these within this forum section.

Hit up [email protected] and he'll take care of it all.

·
Hispanic Causin Panic
1,747 Posts
mahout said:
Here's what we recommend and so far no complaints from customers: 245/45x17 front and 225/50x17 rears OR 235/50x17 all 4. No detectable change in speedo or odometer. The 245/225 combo is exceptionally good at handling improvement but some get nervous about different sizes front and rear - in sprite of Porsche, Corvette and others doing it. It works well on my car and 2 customers on & off track. The trick is keeping diameters the same. Brands: BFG, Michelin, Sumitomo, Falken and Yokohama have all worked well. I personally prefer Michelin Sport Cups on track and Falken Azenis
front/Michelin P/S2's rear in summer and BFG KDW in winter.
The only thing i see bad about doing the different front and rears is u wouldnt do a rotation. and u would get uneven tire wear from the front drive wheels compared to the rear. i think it would help out on handling , but it sounds like a waste of dinero IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my Michelin Pilot sport A/S's in size 235/50/17 for approx 2 years. This is a very good tire but expensive. Avon just came out with the same size and appears to be getting good reviews for the money. Check the tire rack web site for more info.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
MightyMouseAltima said:
The only thing i see bad about doing the different front and rears is u wouldnt do a rotation. and u would get uneven tire wear from the front drive wheels compared to the rear. i think it would help out on handling , but it sounds like a waste of dinero IMO.
I think rotation is a waste of money. For me its more economical to replace front tires two times for every rear tire change. That way I only have to buy 4 tires every other replacement and don't have to waste time (if rotation is 'free') and money and time on rotations if its my expense. On all my FWD'd the fronts wear our twice as fast as the rears. And on 215's stock, virtually 4 times faster. 245's cut the ratio to 2:1 from 4:1.
I have tried using my spare on the front - 1 245/50 and 3 -225/55 just to see how squirrely I could be and it wasn't bad at all. Mind you I wouldn't do it on track but it was OK just to get 25 mi home using a modicum of care. Porsches and Corvettes among others have the same situation and they seem to be OK too. cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts