The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey my stock rotors are shot now after driving for a while.. so im wondering if i should jus go ahead and replace them w/ another set of OEM rotors? :confused: or go w/ an aftermarket set of rotors.. let me know what u think and if it's aftermarket.. what kind? thanx

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are the faults/benefits of cross drilled or slotted? trying to decide which is better.

·
1st, 3rd, 3rd, 5th Gen
2,266 Posts
slotted has the most contact.

crossdrilled has the most heat dissapation (sp)

slotted and x- drilled has less contact than those two but look the best.

performance wise use what race cars uncluding F1 use... slotted. Don't swear by it though... these are not big brakes.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
vented with smooth pad face is the best for heat capacity. slotted is the best for keeping your pads from glazing. crossdrilled is the best for lightening weight and allowing gasses to escape (not really a problem anymore), but can be prone to cracking.

what kind of driving do you do? I'd say the brembo oem replacements are a good choice. I went with generic oem replacements for mine.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You need slotted or cross drilled rotors just like you need blue neon washer nozzles and altezza tail lights.

The only advantage would be if the vents/veins in the rotor were curved to improve airflow and cooling through the rotor.

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
greensoup2 said:
The only advantage would be if the vents/veins in the rotor were curved to improve airflow and cooling through the rotor.

It's a nice advantage to have if you ask me

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
def slotted over cross drilled or both !

drilled rotors reduce the surface and actually reduce heat dissipation since there is less metal (for conduction - robmarch is correct - back in the day they were made to let the gasses escape) ...

in the end tho any of these are overkill for the alty on street duty, so greensoup is right in that sense..

however, i dunno what its like for you boys up there, but the OEM charge for new rotors here is pretty pricey, and its really a matter of a few bucks to get a quailty set of ventialted and slotted brembos... i really cant see the objection in that.

·
Registered
774 Posts
wankski said:
def slotted over cross drilled or both !

drilled rotors reduce the surface and actually reduce heat dissipation since there is less metal (for conduction - robmarch is correct - back in the day they were made to let the gasses escape) ...

in the end tho any of these are overkill for the alty on street duty, so greensoup is right in that sense..

however, i dunno what its like for you boys up there, but the OEM charge for new rotors here is pretty pricey, and its really a matter of a few bucks to get a quailty set of ventialted and slotted brembos... i really cant see the objection in that.
Makes sense to me too. It just makes me ill to see all these guys running drilled rotors and bragging about it. Drilled rotors are garbage and most are notorious for cracking at which point you need to toss them (even for tiny cracks) or heck I've seen them broken apart. Most companies just literally drill a blank rotor which is not intended for that purpose and is no longer structurally sound.

Better venting on the inside of the rotor is a bonus but the slotting probably hurts as much at it would ever help.

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
Personally I would prefer slotted over all rotors unless you have a big brake kit of course. But slotted will never crack and loose it's integrity. I'm more then happy with my powerslots, absolutely fade free!!! Good braking performance over stock and they look nice in the process.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
slotting isn't too bad. it's main purpose isn't ventilation, though, but removing the glaze from your pads keeping them fresh and biting hard.

if you're looking oem, I'd get the brembo replacements or generic replacements, which I got for like $30 ea.

good luck :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts