The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is-it me or the stock radio/cassette/Cd combo of my 1998 altima sounds really bad.

does anyone know what is the size of the stock speakers in the front doors?

replacing them with better one will that help improving the sound quality?

thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ah, you are correct, it's pretty terrible. This is the only mod I have on my car so I'm speaking from experience. The speakers are not great (100W) but the CD player doesn't put out near enough power. Replacing the speakers wouldn't do much on its own. Replacing the CD player will have a much greater impact. I replaced my stock player with the Pioneer DEH-1500. I bought it at Circuit City. Altogether it cost $188 and change, which includes the player and the mounting kit. They will also install it for free. The Pioneer DEH was the second cheapest CD player they had but it still delivers more power to the speakers.

So the first thing you want to do is get a new CD player. It will of course replace the tape player too, if that matters. I myself have to suggest any Pioneer brand. Which one you get will be up to you. You will need to conside a few things. Do you plan to get subs? If so you'll need a player that can control the bass level of the subs and the speakers separately. Which one looks the coolest? Well, that's up to you whether you want a big flashy screen or not. If all you want is better sound quality then the cheapest one will work just as well and the most expensive.

Getting a new CD player does a lot of good, but if you want to make it better you should replace the speakers to. The 98-01 Altimas have four 6-1/2" 100W speakers. Unlike the CD player, the sound of speakers varies greatly. I have to suggest the Infinity i6002 speakers. You can find them at about $80 a pair. Replace the front speakers before the rear because you hear them better and they're a little easier to get to. If you need to know how to get to them you can probably search for it. If you come up with nothing just PM me and I'll tell you exactly how to do it.

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
3,416 Posts
best bet is to change everything to your personal likeings. Pay the money to get what you want. you come up short, so will your audio system and you won't be satisfied. I have Kenwoods all around. Kenwood deck, Kenwood coaxials, kenwood amps, kenwood CD changer. pioneer is also good as that's what i started with as a deck.

do the research and get what you want. go to cruthfield.com , it's very helpful and i've bought majority of my audio equipment from them.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
the stock system isnt actually half-bad, considering some other cars that ive heard stock (especially my old 87 Honda! LOL)
i first replaced my speakers with 6.25/6.5 Pioneer 3 way's. the stock radio didnt have enough power to really make them sound decent, and i had my old Pioneer HU (forgot what it was, but it had Mosfet 45) and it worked well, but started crapping out so i got a new one (DEH 3500? i think...) 180 at WalMart, Mosfet 50, and with all the controls (EQ, plus frequencies and boosts, etc...) its kickin'. good bass, loud, not much distortion till you get it really loud (and the rear stock speakers start to fart!) but with my header its not good enough on the highway. ive got 3 10" subs in the trunk now, waiting to be hooked up (the HU does the sub stuff too so i made a good buy there...)
you dont need a $600 CD player...usually they just come with more options and a fancy screen. i dont care about any of that, and my player works fine. cant wait to hear the subs though :D

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
Definitley wrong forum...

haha soc_monki,I have the same deck with two 10 subs.
I copped mine through a Best Buy hook-up at @$140.
I love the subwoofer/freq control options.

Anyway factory head unit must go first,then speakers.
I copped some on sale Sony Xplode 3 ways in all factory locations.
So get the HU first,then speakers.

I never had a 'factory' system.Subs went in the next day from
the old car.

·
EAT IT
1,739 Posts
i'm usually browsing the car audio/Ice forum, and i can tell you right now.
for the love of god Do Not Ask:
"so what do you guys think i should get"
do yourself a flavor and look at soundomain and or crutchfield. look at the prices vs. what you are wanting to spend. if you ask that question, the #1 thing that you will hear is....... how much are you willing to spend. the monki said that you don't need a $600 hu. accept his $.02 and deposit it into your bank. just from word of mouth on this site, i heard that deh3500 isn't a bad hu at all. so if anything take a look at a few hu's and ask for the opinion of a few models. (be sure to give the model number) and if you start asking about speakers, subs, and amps, be sure to list make, model, and RMS wattage. don't even bother with peak wattage because it mean n-o-t-h-i-n-g.
have a great day :)

·
WOOHOO NO LONGER A NEWBIE
286 Posts
if your gonna get serious with your sound system i deffiently recommend an alpine headunit...or anything with 4(^)volt preouts for your external amps.. i personally have the cda9831 ($399.99 @ circuit city) with all jl amps and subs and pioneer rev series speakers for my mids... it sounds amazing

-=chris=-

·
EAT IT
1,739 Posts
does that $399.99 head unit suck you and fu*K you too? man, you must really be into car audio huh? i'm not downing on you or anything, i'm sure it looks nice :) i was just saying that if i spent that kind of money on an hu, i would want to get a little something else out of it :brow:

·
WOOHOO NO LONGER A NEWBIE
286 Posts
yea i am really into it... but even if i wasnt, my philosophy is "if your going to do something, do it right" I piss my self laughing when i go to car shows and see cars 1000000000000 x better then mine and they have a $99 headunit with some flea market amps and subs.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
SLOW KA_ said:
Definitley wrong forum...

haha soc_monki,I have the same deck with two 10 subs.
I copped mine through a Best Buy hook-up at @$140.
I love the subwoofer/freq control options.

Anyway factory head unit must go first,then speakers.
I copped some on sale Sony Xplode 3 ways in all factory locations.
So get the HU first,then speakers.

I never had a 'factory' system.Subs went in the next day from
the old car.
yea, i love my deck...and the 3 10's are kickin now! 1650 watt capability, being pushed by 1000 watts. works good, still tuning though...its hitting hard im happy!
and IMO if you are a show car, big, expensive stuff is good. for a normal person, 400+ for a HU is just not needed! a lot of times the more expensive stuff just has a few more features (more amp outputs etc...) and a nice fancy screen. big whoop. im more into the performance, and the 200 and less HUs work just as well. and ive compared, and i can tell a difference and there is none in the sound quality IMO, and im picky because im a musician LOL.
but it depends on what you want and what you want to spend. if you want show points, get the expensive stuff. if you want awesome sound at an affordable price, you dont need it. my subs were a present from a friend, 3 Jensen 10's in a pro-logic box with a Rampage amp. sure, might not be really high-quality like Rockford Fosgate or whatever, but the system works damn good and im not complaining since it was a present. so im completely happy :)

so do what you can afford...just get decent stuff. nothing for like 90 bucks or anything cheap...midrange stuff works just as well if youre not into super-booming show stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
on my 2000 the system was horrible I blew all the speakers one by one or all at once who knows, & I hated it because I had no money. Now I got some money and bought some quality things first the radio definitely needs to go & I replaced it with the Pioneer DEH-P760MP it's great & plays MP3(there are some models that are cheaper & play MP3 but don't have the cool little graphics my girl loves) then for the speakers I got all 4 pioneer 3 ways (AWESOME!) and then as for the subs I only put 1 12" kicker comp Vr2 which rips and my old Phoenix Gold amp(Old faithful) I was going to install an amp for the mids & highs but with the radio it sounds really good, so theres no need. Now my alty sounds soooo sweet for about under $500(without bass) with bass your looking @ another $300 for some bump. ( Well damn I didnt think I was going to write a story but oh well)

I say best bang for your buck go with Pioneer they have quality speakers & radios & the price is not bad at all.

:flames:

·
Dog Days Are Over
1,947 Posts
Spend a few bucks more on the CD HU and get one with MP3/WMA capability. One Cd will hold about 9 albums. It'll save you money on a changer in the long run, you'll get higher pre out voltage for less noise/distortion to outboard amps, independent bass level control, and a better CD transport.

I went with a Pioneer 7400MP and Infinity Co-axials all around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i was recommend the Kenwood KDC-MP925 or the KDC-MP922. It's both 5-Volts pre-amp output with an aux input for future up grades like tv. And it plays CD/CD-R/MP3/WMA, with D-mask so it flips when it's off. I got my 925 for $320. It sounds great, i'm really happy with the hu.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts