The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like we are dodging the bullet, at least for a awhile.

Impressed by the narrow-beam, blue-white lights in the rear-view mirror as that expensive sports sedan overtakes you on the Garden State Parkway?

So are thieves.

Law enforcement agencies throughout the state are
combating the theft of xenon headlights from 2002-03 Nissan Maximas, as well as from some
Acura, Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes models.

At Route 22 Nissan in Hillside,thieves stole the $800-a-set headlights from 50 Maximas in
one December night.

Authorities still are investigating that theft, and surveillance of the lot has been increased by both management and local police.

"They're taking the headlights off the Nissan Maxima and putting them on just about anything," Hillside police Lt. Louis Panarese said.

A popular trend among adolescent auto enthusiasts is fitting the stolen high-intensity-discharge (HID) lights onto sporty compacts like the Honda
Civic Si, Mazda Protege 5 and Volkswagen GTI.

"The lights are easy to remove," Panarese said. "You can pry them out with a screwdriver.

"It's an ongoing problem all over the state," added the police detective. "I believe every major Nissan dealer in New Jersey has been hit."

Not only are dealerships being struck after-hours, managers in company cars have been victims of thefts on car lots during the business day.

"They've hit franchise stores, individual customers, even myself and one of my managers," said Willie Paderon, the sales chief at Route 22 Nissan. "It happened to me when I was parked right beside our building during the day. It's a very serious problem."

Paderon said management implemented theft-deterrent measures that have curbed the problem on its lot. He added the dealership is working with Nissan to remedy the problem for customers.

The sales manager said the actual repair costs significantly exceed the steep price tag for a set of the headlights. He said with the required
harness, wiring and labor, the bill comes to about $3,000 a car.

Car dealers say part of the problem is that Nissan changes body styles only every four or five years and, as a result, the lights on the new Maximas will fit older models.

Kyle Bazemore, a Nissan spokesman, said theft-deterrent devices are
available to individual Maxima owners. He asked that tactics not be disclosed, fearing thieves would be tipped off.

"The deterrent devices are not 100 percent foolproof," he said. "Some consumers have been hit two or three times, even with the device on."

Bazemore said the problem is expected to lessen when an all-new Maxima built in the United States goes on sale March 1. The new headlights will be more difficult to remove, he said, and will not fit older models.

Garrett Smith of Roselle has been hit twice by headlight thieves. The first time was in November outside the Priory Restaurant in Newark and the second in front of the Cavalier Restaurant Diner in Roselle.

Both thefts occurred in open, public areas during the early afternoon.

"Each time it cost me about $4,000 to fix, and my deductible was $500,"Smith said. "After the first time I put in a $300 sensor alarm, but it was no
help.

"The first time they messed up the bumper and hood," added Smith. "The second time they just made an incision behind the headlights and popped
them out."

Smith said he will terminate the lease early on his 2002 Maxima.

E&J Auto Body Co. in Roselle was busy e-installing headlights and repairing body damage to two poached Maximas last week.

"We've done five cars since the first of January," said co-owner Emiddio Pelosi. "They pry the headlights out, so damage is done to the adjacent
body panels."

Asked what he recommends to prevent the headlight thefts, Pelosi said, "If they (thieves) want them, they're going to get them."

"When eight tracks (audio tape players) first came out, they took them. Then CDs. Then airbags," he said. "Now, this is something they're taking."

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in jersey. I heard about that, it's insane.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Is it easy to steal on our altimas?

If so how do they do it?

·
all about the washingtons
326 Posts
by the way, if anyone is interested in maxima HID's at a really cheap price- pm me.

·
*Really New Member*
1,095 Posts
that some sad stuff...wish people would just work for their stuff not steal it off others....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Altimas are no difference than any other cars. But what keep Altima safe is that Xenon is not standard in any trim. Even if someone has a SL or SE, it may not have Xenon in it. Thieves like a sure thing. So it's not a big target like Maxima or TL which Xenon comes standard in all models.

TL was a very big target for Xenon thieve until they redsign the headlight assembly design. But it's still thieves favorite target.

·
Sit Down. Stand Up.
258 Posts
Abstraxx said:
Is it easy to steal on our altimas?

If so how do they do it?
it is a lot harder because the bumper needs to come off. the maxima's, i believe, are only held on by 2 screws. also, probably 90% of the altimas do not have HID's.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
well it may be just as easy, because as the report sad there is body damage, so that can just consist of them prying the hood up with crow bars then removing what they need....whatever it is, it sucks.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
JBL85 said:
well it may be just as easy, because as the report sad there is body damage, so that can just consist of them prying the hood up with crow bars then removing what they need....whatever it is, it sucks.
and ripping the bumper off.....would have tobe some seriously determined thugs

·
I'll be dat
294 Posts
No one has stolen any Lexus HIDs, it is to hard. Not cheaply made. Nor BMWs or Benz. But those new Acuras and Nissans, I could steal em with a pocket knife.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Even though that some altimas do have the xenon HID lights its hard to get the xenon headlight on the drivers side. They would have to un-screw the airfitler box and then unscrew it form the maf and then its easy to take off. But its true, 90% of altimas dont have xenon HID.

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
791 Posts
Another bad thing is in CA HIDs may actually become illegal. I saw a news story about that the other night. Cops will be dishing our fix-it tickets left and right in my area it seem like every other car has them around here.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
BrandonS said:
Another bad thing is in CA HIDs may actually become illegal. I saw a news story about that the other night. Cops will be dishing our fix-it tickets left and right in my area it seem like every other car has them around here.
WTF!? Tell the cops to take it up with the manufacturers. If they want it out, tell the government to pay for it.

·
Altima Crazy!!!
417 Posts
stealing the bulbs... i thought if they were going to steal something it would be the balasts... i thought that and the wiering is the most expencive part of the set up... arent the bulbs only like 80$$??

·
Goldmember
311 Posts
pimpin'alty said:
stealing the bulbs... i thought if they were going to steal something it would be the balasts... i thought that and the wiering is the most expencive part of the set up... arent the bulbs only like 80$$??
they steal the whole setup...it doesn't take much to rip the housing out...what do they care...they only keep the bulb and the ballast... it's quite sad actually... I know someone with an 02 max who put in 00-01 headlights cause his were ripped out of his car twice :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
After reading that story, I'm glad that our cars don't come stock with 'em. The only way thieves would know to take ours off our Alti's would be if they saw your HID's while you were driving and followed you home or wherever.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts