The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please, someone have an idea. In my 2000 Altima, 65% of the time I accelerate qucikly I get a strange grinding noise coming from the front passenger side of the engine. It almost sounds like a turbo blow-off valve, but I don't have a turbo. When it does happen, i usually feel a slight loss in power, and the sound never lasts more than a second or two. Once it was really bad and I experienced a great loss in power while accelerating onto the freeway. My mechanic couldn't find anything majorly wrong but this is annoying. Any help?

·
Homeland Security
87 Posts
idler pulley most likely a culprit

after my failed 2000 altima idler pulley, i learned alot from my local nissan mechanic and resources about that sound.
If it sounds squirley when starting the car, and subsides after warm up, most likely an idler pulley, chances are that its locking up or spinning on random intervals, either way your belts are being burned up do to the locked up berings, talk to a nissan tech about that.... good luck

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
^^^ same problem i've had for several years now. Had no idea how to fix it, since it's hard to reproduce because it would make that noise on cold morning start ups. Took it to several mechanics and they didn't find anything. I might have to try again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine is the same ... I had the AC belt changed at 60,000 and it got tons worse, when the mechanic changed the belt it got much better.

I now have a slight squeek when I start up, and a small "hiss" when I accelerate hard ... this happens when the AC is on, or the heater is on .. the mechanic said that the belt is used in both situations ?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah, i also noticed that the noise continues if my heater's on. It also doesn't seem to rattle when tranny's in Park. Once i turn the wheels or put it in reverse or drive the rattle starts. Finally, if i reverse up hill, it screeches like crazy. I thought my car was dying or something.
How is it would it be to replace the pulley or the belt? There isn't much space there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts