The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my friends this is my 4th oil change and something odd happened.

I put the 4.25qt in that I always do....and it registers on the dip stick at the bottom line as if it were low. I added about another .25 qt and it is mid way between the lines...

Every other oil change 4.25qt has filled her to the top....

Anyone else experience anything such as this. How much oil are your 3.5's taking????????:confused:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Are you sure you waited a bit before checking the dipstick? And was it all the way inserted into its opening?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pvick said:
Are you sure you waited a bit before checking the dipstick? And was it all the way inserted into its opening?
How's over night grab ya??? That is why it is so strange...

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
4.5 everytime I've done it, with the exception of the time I couldn't get the damn oil filter off. GD Grease monkeys! Nothing worse than draining your oil then finding out you can't get the oil filter off and have no way to get to a store get a cap to remove it! The f-bomb was dropped many times that day!!!

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
quick way to get an oil filter off if you are down to your last resort. take a phillips screwdriver that is longer than the filter is wide. now pierce the filter from one side to the other at the end of the filter. (the end you grab with your hand) and now you have an instant handle. works EVERY time.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
asleepaltima said:
quick way to get an oil filter off if you are down to your last resort. take a phillips screwdriver that is longer than the filter is wide. now pierce the filter from one side to the other at the end of the filter. (the end you grab with your hand) and now you have an instant handle. works EVERY time.

Or...We need to Pump..You up!:D

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My factory filter must have been put on by a crazed robut..with freakey strength...But I managed to over power it.

My fathers 01 Alti..had the same Japanese Gorilla put his origional filter on..I have an even harder time getting his filter off. I almost pulled the car off of the jack trying to horse that bad boy:(

·
Proud '02 owner
2,852 Posts
I had my oil changed last week. Saw some spots in the drive way but it tured out to be the wifes car. But I did check the oil and found that it looked low. so I added a quart and it was fine. I watch my mechanic do the oil change and he fills up a gallon container every time he does it so I don't get it either????

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don`t get it either,

every oil change I put 4 - 4.5 qts of oil in it
and after couple of hours oil level looks fine

but after I drive my altima for a couple of days
almost like .5 qt just goes away
I add more oil and don`t add it anymore
until the next oil change.

and Yes, I do put oil in oil filter when I change it.
(Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil + Mobil 1 filter)

any ideas on this ?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
first time I had my oil change done.. was at this one express smog/lube place. They had more car in neutral (no idea why, but the place was flat, and they went under the first level and accessed my car under there. They were yanking on the filter so hard, my car was rolling back and forth like a inch. :p

·
Registered
279 Posts
hey i got free oil changes from the dealer when i bought my SE....should i bother letting them do it or do it myself? what type of oil do they use is it a crappy one? if so, ill do it my damnnn self. plus the dealership i would go to i dont like already so u think it would be a problem if i stood and watched them do it until they finshed lol?

Dealership: "You can leave now"

ME: "No i dont trust you bastards!!!!! ill just stand right here and watch, dont worry i wont be in yur way."

Dealership: "Well im afraid im not gonna be able to let that happen, its company policy yada yada yada"

ME: "Well im afraid im gonna have to shove my foot up your @ss if you try and move me....does your manual tell you how to remove that too?" :D

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
I was tempted to drive the screw driver through but was afraid of the concequnces if it didn't work. I went and bought an end cap that attaches to a socket wrench, came off on the first attempt!

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
hehe, thats why you only do the screwdriver thing if you already have the new filter in your posession... :) the worst thing that happens is that its messy. BUT IT WORKS!! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dip Stick AT L (LOW) Mark

I just changed my oil again, had the same problem 4 1/4 quarts W/Filter change. Use a NISSAN OIL FILTER, WARM the car up, let sit for 10 minutes and more...... Checked about 6 times after 15-20 minutes still at LOW MARK.......... Car is on flat ground with dip stick fully inserted!
I added to the H level, 5 QT's total.
I called Nissan Service today, they haven't heard of this problem.
I think it might be cause i use ramps for the frontend, causing all the oil to drain out , the dealer uses lifts, as car is Level, where all the oil is not fully drained, LOOK at your oil pan the drain is on the back side, not the bottom.
Makes since??? Maybe my dip stick is the wrong one?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts