The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill try to be concise but bare with me.

SES came on a while back and sometimes during the span of about 2 weeks my '00 Altima would only start in neutral. One night I'm driving home and it stalls and rips the a/c belt to shreds.

Once I get it towed home I buy and OBD II code reader and it throws p 0304 camshaft position sensor bank 1. After research, I find that the remedy to this is usually replacing the distributor. I changed that out with a very inexpensive one I find on ebay from a company in Kansas.

After I changed the distributor, the car cranks but wont start and it seems that there isnt any spark being delivered to any of the wires. Also, now there is a faint "buzzing" sound which from right around the distributor area. The buzzing will cease when I pull the iginition swtich fuse from the fuse box under the hood.

I'm thinking this could possibly be remedied by installing a new distributor. However, I would like to make sure its not just a short I need to find or a problem with timing, I imagine there's a good chance my timing could be off after the belt was torn..?

I'm far from an expert I've spent some time under the hood of this car and my previous ones.

Point me in the right direction please

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any love?

I bit the bullet and bought a new distributor and swapped them out to no avail.

Symptom persists w/o p 0304 code but the car will crank just no spark getting to plug wires.

I'm thinking timing needs to be reset -- perhaps the stall with the ripped a/c belt is an indication the timing is off?

I would attempt to fix the timing myself but I dont know how to go about it if I cant even get the car to start

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
How careful were you about swapping the distributor...did you ensure the rotor was in exactly the same position after install as before? Did you ensure that all components on the old distributor were present on the new one? Are you getting sparks off the main coil?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How careful were you about swapping the distributor...did you ensure the rotor was in exactly the same position after install as before? Did you ensure that all components on the old distributor were present on the new one? Are you getting sparks off the main coil?

yes I made sure the rotor is in the exact same position and and all the pieces are there/ connected.

I really believe the timing is off but I have no idea how to adjust the timing if the engine wont crank.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
yes I made sure the rotor is in the exact same position and and all the pieces are there/ connected.

I really believe the timing is off but I have no idea how to adjust the timing if the engine wont crank.
Double check you got the plug cables installed in the correct order :)

Did you verify if there was a spark COMING to the distributor?

If so,then you probably need to go back to basics...

so align timing marks on crank pulley (or whatever the 2000's version of that is now), pull a plug or two to verify correct orientation of crank by piston height, visually confirm rotor is pointing at right cylinder based on the aforementioned.

Any chance you had an event that would have allowed a timing chain to jump?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Double check you got the plug cables installed in the correct order :)

Did you verify if there was a spark COMING to the distributor?

If so,then you probably need to go back to basics...

so align timing marks on crank pulley (or whatever the 2000's version of that is now), pull a plug or two to verify correct orientation of crank by piston height, visually confirm rotor is pointing at right cylinder based on the aforementioned.

Any chance you had an event that would have allowed a timing chain to jump?
Thanks for the reply, I triple checked that the spark plug cables were installed correctly.

I did not check for spark going into the distributor, I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing that but a good old internet search should point me in the right direction. If you have model specific information on the procedure that'd be killer.

I aligned the crank pulley to +20 as I found in the FSM and I also verified the rotor was directed at the first contact point in the distributor. Now that I think about it, I made sure the rotor was pointing at the first spark plug terminal, tightened the cap and then proceeded to turn the crank pulley to +20.

Does cranking the pulley with a wrench change the position of the rotor? I wouldn't think so but I'll double check that today.

And with the timing chain question, I really have no clue. One thing that seems to be unique to my situation, relative to others with similar situations, was when my car stalled it shredded the a/c belt.

Thanks for giving me a couple things to read up on, as I will read up on them and attempt to get my Altima up and running again today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I asked for help from an acquaintance of mine and after everything was said and done, I found out that my #1 cylinder was not actually getting any sort of compression.

I found this out by lightly stuffing a small rag in the cylinder and cranking the car, on my #1 cylinder the rag did not seem to react to the air the #1 cylinder should have compressed at TDC.

I hope this helps and thank you NC for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts