The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stupidest n00b question ever?? EDIT: Ignore this thread

Okay so I don't know very much about turbos but I have a question.

Say for whatever reason you don't want your turbo running all the time and you want to be able to disable it with a switch. Would it be possible to bypass the turbo with a second pipe, and also have a mechanism to switch between the pipes. I know this is probably not very realistic since you would have extra piping and the mechanism would add more weight. Hold on before you answer.....

EDIT: Ignore this thread.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Boost is pedal dependant. If you wanted to you can get a turbo that simply will not spool under normal driving conditions, and will only boost at WOT towards redline. You can pretty much size a turbo for most applications. That however, is a bit more indepth and that information comes with quite a bit of reading.

But it sounds like you're looking for something more like nitrous.

UltimaSE

·
1,484 Posts
I'll have to agree with the nitrous, but you also have to understand like UltimaSE said, your turbo is not like a supercharger, where it is running all the time. Your turbo only spools upon your acceleration, so if you want to keep out of boost, don't be flooring it everywhere.

But on a second note, if you do have the turbo, why the hell wouldn't you want to drive it like you have it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts