The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not sure why but my sub wont work. i have everything hooked up right..i think. when i mess with the dials on the amp for hz and such the rear speakers changes sounds...u think i wired it wrong??? how do i fix this? if u need more detail just ask but i really want to fix this soon...thanx

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
From what I'm hearing you're having one shitty day huh?? Ticket and now no sound, I'd go back to bed and sleep the rest of this month off!!!

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
3,416 Posts
all i can say is check each and every wiring you did again. it's bound to be in the wires. otherwise you get one bust sub or something.

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup...my day sucks except that i got into college..and my damn mom dont care...all she cares is that i got a speeding ticket...

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i just went over my friends house and plug her sub in and it didn't work...but her sub has a built in amp.

anyone have any idea on what i did wrong?

·
Registered
288 Posts
That sucks that your mom won't forget about the ticket for a day and congratulate you on getting into college.

About your sub...if you're changing the x-over and your rear speakers are changing, then that means you have your rear speakers wired to your sub amp or you're hearing things. If your sub just cuts out...did you check the wiring inside the box? It's happened to me on at least one occasion where one of the wires connecting the sub inside the box has fallen off. If this happens then the sub won't work...so check that out. Other than that, if you've checked out all your other wiring and you're POSITIVE that it's all good I don't know what to tell you...could be a busted sub...or maybe somehow your sub is putting your amp into protection??

Check out the wires inside the box and if that's not it post back...but I have a sneaking suspicion that's it if everything else is wired and your amp still powers on.

·
Registered
288 Posts
wait...so you plugged her sub into your amp?...if it's a powered sub is that even possible? I thought the amp was wired directly to the sub in powered sub enclosures.

If you did in fact connect her sub correctly and it didn't work, then that means there is something wrong with your amp.

If you're trying to test another sub with your amp, the only thing that should be connecting the two is a positive and negative speaker wire...everything else should stay plugged into your amp the way it is...don't move the RCAs, the power, anything...just the speaker wire. If the other sub doesn't work, then your amp has something wrong with it.

You can also do this with your sub...find someone who has an amp (not a powered sub) and hook your sub up to it. If your sub doesn't work then your sub has something wrong with it.

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
problem #1:the protection goes on when i have the speaker wires plug into the amp
point#1: amp worked when i borought it

frustration: at life

·
Registered
288 Posts
protection goes on means that your sub is wired wrong most likely...or you need to double check your amp ground because it's probably no good.

If the amp worked when you bought it...did you buy it today, or yesterday? Sometimes amps are defective...and if you abuse them they will break...do you think that just because it worked when you bought it that it will work forever?

Tell me what kind of sub you have, how you have it wired, and what kind of amp you have.

·
Registered
288 Posts
also, like i said...you never know when you have defective equipment...and it doesn't always just wear out...sometimes things break instantly.

check the amp with another sub and the sub with another amp to see which one is causing the problem like I said...it never hurts and it's a way to eliminate one of the sources of the problem.

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
crap i remember something..when puttin my amp in i accidently put the ground wire in teh speaker wire plugs...could that of done something? how do i fix it?

·
Registered
288 Posts
loserpunkx182 said:
crap i remember something..when puttin my amp in i accidently put the ground wire in teh speaker wire plugs...could that of done something? how do i fix it?
I'm about 99% sure that won't hurt your amp...if the ground wire isn't connected to the ground terminal on your amp then there's no way power would go through it at all...let alone through the output.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If the amp is 2 channel, and your sub is wired to 2 ohms and you have the 2 channels bridged...that would cause it to go into protection. try connecting the sub to only one channel of the amp.

I'm not positive...but I had an old poweracoustik amp and I did the same thing back when I had my first system. Plus, most 2-channel amps, especially in that price range, aren't 2 ohm stable when bridged. I'm almost positive this is your problem unless the PA amp is a mono.

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just noticed this on the manuel of that came with the sub

all 4 plugs should have wires on them..think that could be the problem?

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the amp sparked when i put the ground wire to the speaker terminal..i think i fried it cause the proctection is on...but its getin dark so i can't check. is there anyway to fix it?

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so i just found out i have dual coil subs....

but i was wondering...if the proctect mode comes on, how can i fix it? same problem as stated before on the ground wire on the speaker terminal

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry about not responding...my main posting is while I'm here at work so I was gone.

First of all, the spark is fine...it didn't (or at least shouldn't) fry your amp. It just happens because you didn't disconnect the battery before connecting the amp. Basically it's like the spark you get when you plug something into the wall that's already turned on. You're completing the circuit while the wire is already live so that's what makes the spark...definitely once or twice won't hurt anything...just disconnect the battery from now on before you mess with your amp.

Second...if you have dual voice coils, and only one of them is connected, this is VERY VERY BAD for the speaker. Depending on the impedence (ohms) of your voice coils you'll know how to wire it. I just looked up your sub model and found you have dual 4 ohm coils. There are really only 2 ways you'd want to consider hooking your sub up.

1) put your amp in mono mode, and connect one voice coil (1 +&-) to each channel of the amp.

2) the second way (and the way I recommend) is running your voice coils in parallel which would give you a 2 ohm load. And then connect the + and - terminals on the outside of your box to ONE CHANNEL of your amp.

your amp should have outputs like this

| + | - | + | - |

^...^ (connect it to these 2)

and to wire your sub in parallel, you need to wire both of the +(red) terminals on the speaker together then to the + on the terminal cup on the box. And then do the same thing with the -(black) terminals.

try rewiring the sub like I told you and if it doesn't work then I'm afraid you might need a new sub...just tell me if rewiring it works and if not maybe we can try some other stuff...but I'm just preparing you for 'the worst'.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts