The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
0 to 4.3 in 60 seconds
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, heres what i'm looking at right now:

for the sub(i'm only getting one right now, i may expand later)
either a JL 12W3v2, or an Alpine Type R 12.

for the amp, it's definintely gonna be JBL cuz they're cheap ass hell from ikesound, but i don't know whether to go w/ a 300.1 or a 600.1. both subs are rated at less than 300w RMS, but ppl have told me that the JL is underated, and i assume the alpine is too. so what are your opinions on:
1, the sub i should get
2, the amp,
and 3, what configuration(dual 2- or dual 4- ohm) p.s., the JBL amps only put out 300 and 600 respectively if they are running at 2 ohms

·
Mine's bigger than yours
401 Posts
okay since jl are played out soooo badly i'd say...

1. type r
2. 300.1
3. dual 4 ohm, parallel to get 2 ohms so you'll get the 300 watts

·
0 to 4.3 in 60 seconds
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright thanks sleepa. last q tho, if i did get the dual four, could i later hook up another 1 of the same subs and still run @ 2 ohms?(i have no clue how that works, i need to learn, btw i'd prolly just buy the 600.1 anyway so i could expand later. just run it at low gain i suppose

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
no, you can't, but the up side is the JBL will run at 1 ohm. :)
you could get the 600.1, and the SVC 4 version.. then you'd be at 300w for one, and 300w to each when you get another.. :)

·
0 to 4.3 in 60 seconds
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhh. nice thanks TL. will the amp really hold up at 1 ohm tho? i have talked to a few local car audio installers and most said something like" yea it could be rated for 1 ohm, but it'll only hold for a few minutes then it'll just burp the sub" or some crap like that. was that just B.S so they could sell me a more expensive amp?

·
0 to 4.3 in 60 seconds
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh okay cool deal, thanks. didn't know it was an official spec, i just thought some ppl tried the amp at 1 and it worked. so that's prolly what i'll do then thanks TL

·
0 to 4.3 in 60 seconds
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice! thanks TL, i appreciate it. i do have one last question for tonight, then i'm done with this thread. i was looking at JBL's site, and saw the 80.4, a four channel amp for my speakers. i have infinity reference at all four corners, and they are a four ohm speaker, i believe. can i run them at 2 ohms to get the 80 watts from this amp if i bought it, or would i only be able to get 40? thanks

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
no.. just the 40 :( I wouldn't be surprized if you got closer to 50x4 out of it tho.. their 90x2 does about 110x2..

one nice thing about that 80.4 is that you could bridge it for gobs of power up front later if you wanted to get some nice components..

·
0 to 4.3 in 60 seconds
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahhh. alpine does not make any single voice coil type R subs. how would i go about this? do i buy the dual 2, and just turn the amp down a lot w/ the 600.1, and then buy another dual 2 later if i want it? that would work right?

·
0 to 4.3 in 60 seconds
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ah fug it. i'm just gonna buy a dual 2 and be happy with the one sub, even if i have to change it later. i think i'll be happy with the single sub anyway, i'm not looking for that much. [peace]

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
alpine does make a svc type r sub. I will find the web site that has them and reply. Go for the dual 4 ohm. Then later you can get another one and wire them up and run off the jbl amp. I dont know about the quality of of JBL at 1 ohm. Even the best line's of amp's : Rockford,Alpine,Mtx dont do 1 ohm... Most will but not for a extensive time. I rather run it 2 ohm bridged and make the amp last for many years vs. alittle more power and the amp not lasting more than a year. If you want a serious amp that will take a 1 ohm load and welcome it with open arms go for a ORION xtreme. Hell they can do .25 ohm.!!!!!!!!!!!

·
0 to 4.3 in 60 seconds
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea that's more what i was worried about. but even alpine's own website doesn't list a SVC type r, only a dual 2- or 4. the type S comes single, but i want the R

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
the TYPe R sub a sleeper sub now. I expect it to be the top sub asap. I am tring to sell my 2 12 w6's now to get TYPR 10's.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
02silver2.5l said:
Even the best line's of amp's : Rockford,Alpine,Mtx dont do 1 ohm...
don't want to start an argument here, but, that's exactly it.. none of those companies' amps will do 1 ohm, and the JBL does, yet you still call them "the best" and rank the JBL somwhere below...

(and it does, I've felt, err, heard it @ 1 ohm on rthompson's brother-in-law's 15" ported brahma on heavy SPL bass tracks.. (ouch!, btw))

oh, and SVC 4 & DVC 2.. either way will work equally well..

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
i think the above compaines I have listed are FAR superior than JBL. Yet there stuff is ok but it will NOT last at 1 ohm. Jbl is more of a value line of amps. Sorry not tring to knock JBL but its true.

nonpoint585
I really need to sell both of them. Kicker is also another premium line that will do 1 ohm..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts