The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a bright orange postcard from my dealer marked "URGENT", They want me to bring in my 04 Altima for the subframe recall work.

I guess they hired some new trainees who aren't really getting the hang of things and they want get them some practice time on my car.

I've been delaying bringing it in under the "if it ain't broke" rule. From what I heard this is a pretty big job - which with my dealer usually means 3 trips, alot of cursing and some new unwanted "features" added to the car.

Any body have good/bad experiences with this recall?

·
Firday Misspeller
805 Posts
Take it to a dealer you trust. You are in Jersey. It snows and they use SALT.
My o5 was recalled and they said they replaced some bolts that tend to rust and coated the areas with some kind of rust prevention stuff. Of course they kept the car a whole day and mine has yet to be driven in the snow.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had mine done. They replaced the entire subframe on my car. The ride felt better after the work was done. I wonder if the subframe had broken on my car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do a search, there were a few posts on this, both bad and good experiences. I took mine in 2 weeks ago and they replaced the subframe with no problems. They also did a complete alignment and charged for only the front (special price) since they have to do the rear anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
People have had, as stated above, mixed feelings about this.

The dealer broke alot of bolts on my car, it had came from MI. I had a so-so experience. They had to keep it an extra day to overnight all the broken bolts, but gave me a rental.

After the recall, the car ran fine. It made less noises at first. It wasn't until 3 of 4 days later I heard this noise under braking. It has lessened with time, but I just think it's time for brakes on my 64k mile car. It changes with speed and brake pressur.

·
A d m i n
225 Posts
AuAltima3.5 said:
People have had, as stated above, mixed feelings about this.

The dealer broke alot of bolts on my car, it had came from MI. I had a so-so experience. They had to keep it an extra day to overnight all the broken bolts, but gave me a rental.

After the recall, the car ran fine. It made less noises at first. It wasn't until 3 of 4 days later I heard this noise under braking. It has lessened with time, but I just think it's time for brakes on my 64k mile car. It changes with speed and brake pressur.
when they replace the subframe they take off the wheels and the brakes, rotors, etc all get touched. when reassembled the pads will not exactly line up with the rotors in the previous spot - thus the noise.

i suggest getting this done if you plan to keep your car a while - if only a few years then do not bother. your frame will not rust out in a couple of years.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not going to let them touch it. If I have any problems I'll bank on the extended warranty - I think they extended it to 10 years.

·
Master of the UOA
616 Posts
Why not just take it to a local tire shop, have them lift it up, and take a look at the subframe? If there's damage, then take it in. If there isn't, then continue on your merry way.

It's better to check, and not need it done than to not check, and need it done.

BC.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dealership did it during an oil change about 6-months ago (they just did it while I waited - didn't tell me they were doing it).

Just changed the bolts. Bought the car in Feb 2005, done approx. summer 2006. Live in Toronto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had it done. The whole sub assembly gets replaced. The original bushing weren't sealed. The dealership said 4hrs. I didn't get it back for 24. They weren't forth coming, said they had some problems getting it off, but I imagine they snapped a bolt or two. The thing that got me was..., I took it to my mechanic later and he found that my rear rotors were extremely corroded and needed to be replaced. This car is definately a sunshine and mild weather vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys- I just got this recall performed on my '05 Altima in Long Island, NY....the dealership said that in the process of the repair, the muffler cracked due to excessive corrision-hence they had to replace that too. I was still able to get my car back the same day though....(I dropped it off before work and picked it up around 6-ish...) Other than that, the car feels the same.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Its a dealership... its their responsibility to get it done right,. I brought my car in and let them do it without even thinking... Why not?

Car's been fine since... about 20,000k on the new rear subframe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Da Maestro

I say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!" My experience with dealerships is that when they fix one thing, they usually screw up something else. This corrosion problem will take some time to occur, especially if you maintain the under body with an occasional hosing (weekly is best) to remove road salt during the winter. If the car is under recall they should have to fix it should a problem develop while you own the car, regardless of when you decide to have it fixed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CALL ME at team nissan vineland nj

Rob Lewis
Parts and service director

I do about 100 a month. you will have zero problems. plus i will algn the front end for free. Other dealers just do the rear as required by the recall. Makes no sense!
Rob- thks for the info. I'm closer to Turnersville and Woodbury- any insider thoughts on which one has the best service?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Any suggestions on a good dealer in Toronto/Mississauga or Kitchener/Waterloo that I can take my 02 to for this recall. I have been delaying it due to time issues.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts