The Nissan Club banner

Were you able to get new headlight assemblies for free or get reimbursed after the settlement?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Approved but waiting for replacements or reimbursement

Votes: 5 26.3%
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: It is 17 days from the latest date (06.25.2022) reimbursement payments should be paid out according to the settlement terms . Has ANYONE who submitted a claim been paid or informed that their claim was denied? It seems that the single yes vote to the survey is one reimbursement. Everyone else is waiting for the replacement assemblies that might take over a year to get. I might not wait that long as I bought replacements I will install.

It appears that Nissan is going to make it very difficult for owners with dim headlights to get free replacements based
on early experiences of a couple of owners who've gone to stealerships and have been turned down because the reflector
wasn't delaminated (how does the stealership determine this?- anyone know?)

So that's not good news for those of us who hoped to get them replaced for free at the stealership instead of getting reimbursed which might have a better success rate.
Too late now unless Nissan is forced to recall the assemblies due to a safety concern which it really is for many owners.

Consequently, I've started a poll to see how many were successful at getting the assemblies replaced or got reimbursed

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone has access to NTB22-002 which explains the procedure Nissan dealerships use to determine if an owner qualifies for headlight assembly replacement, please post it. This technical service bulletin has not been released to the public yet (for some reason). Only Nissan employees can. I would really like to see that procedure before wasting my time taking my car in to be evaluated and getting turned down.

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here is NTB22-002A (finally!!!). The inspection procedure photos just plain suck!!!! The good (OK) photos are much closer to the headlight assemblies than the no good (NG) photos. The photos should've been at the same magnification which I've more or less corrected by zooming in on the NG photo.

Jaw Automotive lighting Organism Hood Font

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I looked at the light pattern for my headlight assemblies and to my old eyes they look very much like the NG image.
I'm going to make an appointment to have a stealership tech see if they agree or not.

Regardless of the inspection outcome, I'm going to replace them. I can now see why I have difficulty seeing the road as there's
not much light coming out of the assemblies at the bottom.

· Registered
24 Posts
So, I looked at the light pattern for my headlight assemblies and to my old eyes they look very much like the NG image.
I'm going to make an appointment to have a stealership tech see if they agree or not.

Regardless of the inspection outcome, I'm going to replace them. I can now see why I have difficulty seeing the road as there's
not much light coming out of the assemblies at the bottom.

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The survey so far shows 1 yes and 1 no. I'm going to try to get replacements soon. I should qualify if the stealership follows the guideline photos of good vs no good. Mine are NG.

· Registered
24 Posts
The survey so far shows 1 yes and 1 no. I'm going to try to get replacements soon. I should qualify if the stealership follows the guideline photos of good vs no good. Mine are NG.
It is not subjective by the dealer. The dealer took my car into shop for 90 minutes of testing and collecting data to submit to Nissan if headlights fail. Mine Fails. I am waiting for parts to come, but no one will tell me when.

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It is not subjective by the dealer. The dealer took my car into shop for 90 minutes of testing and collecting data to submit to Nissan if headlights fail. Mine Fails. I am waiting for parts to come, but no one will tell me when.
It shouldn't take 90 minutes to evaluate this according to the TSB. Did you read it? I would say the dealer you went to wanted to be paid first before installing new headlight assemblies in your car if they tested no good. The dealership technician who inspects the car makes the judgment based on the photos provided in the TSB that I linked in post #4. There's no mention in the procedure about having to submit anything to Nissan except a request for repayment for installation of the bad headlight assemblies. If the dealer told you this, they were not following the instructions.

· Registered
5 Posts
Anyone to get replacement successfully or rejected?
No. They were going to charge me a $150 diagnostic fee to see if I had issues with the lights. The rep told me most of the previous cases had failed the test and not been able to qualify for the settlement. So I would lose the $150 if my car failed and not be charged if it passed. He also said I had no delamination and the lights were crystal clear. So, I decided against doing the test.

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No. They were going to charge me a $150 diagnostic fee to see if I had issues with the lights. The rep told me most of the previous cases had failed the test and not been able to qualify for the settlement. So I would lose the $150 if my car failed and not be charged if it passed. He also said I had no delamination and the lights were crystal clear. So, I decided against doing the test.
In which U.S. State did this happen? You should contact Nissan corporate about this shady stealership. You can buy a set of replacement headlight assemblies for that diagnostic fee.

· Registered
5 Posts
In which U.S. State did this happen? You should contact Nissan corporate about this shady stealership. You can buy a set of replacement headlight assemblies for that diagnostic fee.
San Diego, CA. I am going to call Nissan on Monday. The dealership also tried to tell me that older Nissans were under a recall for the assembly replacements but my 2017 was not. So confusing! A little strange that I am under the extended warranty but I would have to pay for a diagnostic test.

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
San Diego, CA. I am going to call Nissan on Monday. The dealership also tried to tell me that older Nissans were under a recall for the assembly replacements but my 2017 was not. So confusing! A little strange that I am under the extended warranty but I would have to pay for a diagnostic test.
Once again, this is not a recall. It is a warranty extension that Nissan agreed to to settle the lawsuits against it. This definitely applies to your 2017.
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Event

Attachments

· Registered
24 Posts
If you have filed for the claim (and being confirmed) for headlight settlement, you should get the free test. When I went to dealer, they just check my VIN and saw my car is in the database. They said the test is free and would take 60-90 minutes.

· Registered
5 Posts
If you have filed for the claim (and being confirmed) for headlight settlement, you should get the free test. When I went to dealer, they just check my VIN and saw my car is in the database. They said the test is free and would take 60-90 minutes.
Thanks for sharing that info on getting the free test. I will try another dealership and see how that goes. Also going to call Nissan on Monday to see what info I get.

· Registered
12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts

Same here but when I when I got to dealership they didn’t charg.. and my useless headlights “passed” so they won‘t replace mine. Nissan consumer affairs wont help either.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts