The Nissan Club banner

Were you able to get new headlight assemblies for free or get reimbursed after the settlement?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Approved but waiting for replacements or reimbursement

Votes: 5 26.3%
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
How did they determine a PASS? Did they take your car into shop for testing using some tools? How long? or just visual inspection (subjective)?
Exactly what Junior82 says- they cleaned headlights and they said “patterns good” on my receipt. Even though in my opinion they are not good.. but I doubt they’ll budge bc I doubt they’re getting support from corporate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here but when I when I got to dealership they didn’t charg.. and my useless headlights “passed” so they won‘t replace mine. Nissan consumer affairs wont help either.
I think the settlement was just a front and most of us won't get the replacements. I've emailed the settlement administrator twice and haven't heard back. I might see what agencies I can file a complaint with so there will be a better chance of getting a response.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Exactly what Junior82 says- they cleaned headlights and they said “patterns good” on my receipt. Even though in my opinion they are not good.. but I doubt they’ll budge bc I doubt they’re getting support from corporate
In this case, seems "subjective", i.e., the results may be different from different persons or different dealers who do the visual inspection. So, why not try other dealers ?
BTW, I was told that the total replacement cost estimated to be $2,500 if done at dealer's.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
The creator of this thread WAS able to get replacement headlight assemblies from Nissan - but not just yet. The stealership tested my car and determined that they were NO GOOD. They had to order them because there will be thousands of cars that are going to need them.

The really strange thing is the NHTSA code for this. Instead of NTB22-002A, the work order shows NTB22-024 with PC861. Here's what comes up for a VIN search at Nissan VIN Lookup: Safety Recall & Service Info | Nissan USA which as you can see is rather incomplete.

Font Circle Darkness Multimedia Logo

Perhaps I should start a new thread entitled "Have you gotten your new headlight assemblies from Nissan yet????"

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the settlement was just a front and most of us won't get the replacements. I've emailed the settlement administrator twice and haven't heard back. I might see what agencies I can file a complaint with so there will be a better chance of getting a response.
I agree it’s a front like you said. I got a call from the settlement administrator who did not change anything and said it’s totally up to the dealership and to call Nissan Corporate to try and get an extended warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The creator of this thread WAS able to get replacement headlight assemblies from Nissan - but not just yet. The stealership tested my car and determined that they were NO GOOD. They had to order them because there will be thousands of cars that are going to need them.

The really strange thing is the NHTSA code for this. Instead of NTB22-002A, the work order shows NTB22-024 with PC861. Here's what comes up for a VIN search at Nissan VIN Lookup: Safety Recall & Service Info | Nissan USA which as you can see is rather incomplete.

View attachment 103030

Perhaps I should start a new thread entitled "Have you gotten your new headlight assemblies from Nissan yet????"
Glad to hear good news. I am on the same boat. Hope the parts can come in 3 months. Let us know if it comes.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Glad to hear good news. I am on the same boat. Hope the parts can come in 3 months. Let us know if it comes.
It appears from my search of five 2013 to 2015 Altimas with 2.5S trim level on the Nissan VIN Lookup site that the NTB22-024 PC861 voluntary service campaign / recall is exclusively for those who submitted and received an outside of warranty claim ID that was transmitted by the settlement administrator to Nissan so that the VSC/recall would be displayed as incomplete when the class member requested warranty service of any kind. I had two other open recalls and after I requested the hood latch recall work was when the NTB024 PC861 popped up on Nissan's site for my VIN. It is not shown on the NHTSA VIN search for open recalls.

None of the VINs for the five used Altimas from cars.com I checked had the NTB22-024 PC861. All of these had halogen headlights. This means that used car dealers and previous owners did not make any effort to take advantage of the free headlight assembly replacement as the ability to make an out of warranty claim expired on March 26. Interesting.

P.S. The hood latch recall altered its operation/function by adding a stiffer spring to the primary latch. It now takes much more effort to release the primary latch from inside the cabin. I hope that the hood latch release lever doesn't break at some point with the stiffer spring. That would be bad.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I submitted a receipt over two months ago and haven’t heard back from them.
You should be reimbursed no later than June 25 which is 60 days from the last date that reimbursement claim forms could be submitted according to the class action settlement agreement. It is unclear if the administrator needs to inform a claimant if their reinbursement claim was accepted or denied. Some claims will be denied for insufficient documentation and some will be denied because the date of purchase / installation was done after October 25, 2021.
I downloaded the 61 page settlement final judgment from altimaheadlightsettlement.com. The Effective Date was 01-20-22.

Font Art Rectangle Circle Number

·
Registered
6 Posts
It appears that Nissan is going to make it very difficult for owners with dim headlights to get free replacements based
on early experiences of a couple of owners who've gone to stealerships and have been turned down because the reflector
wasn't delaminated (how does the stealership determine this?- anyone know?)

So that's not good news for those of us who hoped to get them replaced for free at the stealership instead of getting reimbursed which might have a better success rate.
Too late now unless Nissan is forced to recall the assemblies due to a safety concern which it really is for many owners.

Consequently, I've started a poll to see how many were successful at getting the assemblies replaced or got reimbursed
My dealership said my lights passed , so they won’t do the recall and I have a claim # from the situates settlement that I joined , they won’t even acknowledge the settlement, Iam pissed !!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My dealership said my lights passed , so they won’t do the recall and I have a claim # from the situates settlement that I joined , they won’t even acknowledge the settlement, Iam pissed !!!
There is a chance that Nissan has finally realized it is not a great idea to piss off thousands of Gen 5 Altima owners. A Reddit and altimaforums poster indicated that there will be a recall or voluntary service campaign soon that will allow owners to get their headlight assemblies replaced no questions asked. The poster cited two NHTSA numbers NTB22-039 and -040 for this. NHTSA is very slow at releasing the details so only Nissan stealerships will have them whenever that is. Hope that the poster's info is legit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Suarez vs Nissan settlement
There is a chance that Nissan has finally realized it is not a great idea to piss off thousands of Gen 5 Altima owners. A Reddit and altimaforums poster indicated that there will be a recall or voluntary service campaign soon that will allow owners to get their headlight assemblies replaced no questions asked. The poster cited two NHTSA numbers NTB22-039 and -040 for this. NHTSA is very slow at releasing the details so only Nissan stealerships will have them whenever that is. Hope that the poster's info is legit.
ok I called corporate today an ask the gal about that #NTB22-039 for my 2013 Altima she told me my car had already been inspected and passed and that the service had been done and closed , so Iam still SOL and pissed off , I let her have it , didn’t even phase her unbelievable!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just left a Nissan dealership where my Altima headlights were 'tested.'
Apparently mine failed because they're ordering replacements. I was (perhaps still am) skeptical that I would be approved for free replacements. My low beams are so dim that I can't drive at night; Nissan needs to step up and make a recall.
Thank you all for the information.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts